Any Graphic designers out there or creative multimedia people???

Satz

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey people just done ma graduation ceremony. and i think its time for me to get a fulltime job in the real world. Just wondering if there’s any people who already in the creative media industry. that could offer me any advice for breaking in and getting job.

what do they look for and expect etc..

I'm a web designer and have been freelance for the last year or so.

Like anyone else, they want someone who can do 5 jobs at once, knows every programming language going, can design, information flow organise, can copywrite and knows all the graphics software packages inside out, and thats just for minimum wage...

I think you need to sell your best aspect, any good studio will have people spesilised in their area, programmers, typographers, photoraphers etc...

Always keep on top of recent trends and develop a style of your own... It's veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy easy to fall behind in this game... I know...

I'm a web designer and have been freelance for the last year or so.

Like anyone else, they want someone who can do 5 jobs at once, knows every programming language going, can design, information flow organise, can copywrite and knows all the graphics software packages inside out, and thats just for minimum wage...

I think you need to sell your best aspect, any good studio will have people spesilised in their area, programmers, typographers, photoraphers etc...

Always keep on top of recent trends and develop a style of your own... It's veryyyyyyyyyyyyyy easy to fall behind in this game... I know...

Unfortunately that is all true Satz. I think the advice is spot on, pick your speciality area so that you are excellent a one particular task.

madeinbeats, I couldn’t agree with you anymore I looked up a few jobs and they expect everything for min-wage it PISSIS ME off man, some of these companies they dikheads. I don't understand why the industry is like that and people work for pennies.

They don’t understand the time and energy spent in developing those skills. One of my close mates a web developer and he is good at what he does but he should be on a 25 k+ salary where he is on a about 18k and he has 3 years working experience. Most of these companies just pimp the person, make em do the most work and give them the least amount of cut.

I’m at the process of building my skills up, finished Uni now I go a 2.1 so I’m pretty happy with that but I don't feel I’m nowhere near equipped for industry working just yet.(spend more time on tutorialized dot com)
I think there’s a big gap between unis and industry.

Yeh i sometimes find it hard to focus on one area because there are too many options especially in this field and they overlap for e.g flash and web

Also, you must have a love and a passion and once/if it runs out, your stuffed...

Mine ran out due to personal reasons, and I find it hard to find passion. If you like what you do, and have good familly/friends/partner around you, then you should be ok... But as you know, us creative trypes are very fragile, and alls it took for me was for someone to break my heart, and that was it, stuffed and still haven't recovered or can't see the light...

There's designers and then there's designers... You find it hard to explain to your everyday office worker that there's a little piece of your sole in every website you build....

Best of luck.

Passion and love probly most important things in life, not just work, but i feel you i find it hard to work without strong motivation and passion. Otherwise it is just a chore or some bullshit i force myself to do. But when ya have passion you create art. And creative people make the world, may they be good or evil.

And i realized when you have attachment with other people ya get hurt so **** other person, that’s my mind state. life is a personal battle with other people butting in.

well i hope ya find ya own way and be back on ur game

Back