Any good gaming PC deals ? advice needed

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Sister in law's after a gaming PC for her son for Christmas but they've not a clue and tbh nor have I. I said I'd ask so,

are there any deals, packages, with a monitor or separate and a decent monitor ?. I don't think he's running any extraordinary games more t like the usual COD all that.

If anyone has a any idea's on this please post up

Thanks but the thing is keg I wouldn't know a good part from another , I'l browse . Any views on a monitor anyone ?

Last christmas we bought the youngan a gaming pc from there and built in to a really high spec. I think we paid £658.00 plus vat, and it was a ryzen 5, I think 1600, 8 gb ram, 1tb hard drive and 128mb ssd. and geforce 1060 graphic card. We then bought this monitor

Iiyama G-Master Black
Hawk G2530HSU-B1 (24.5
inch) Full HD TN LED

I've had parts from CCL; they're a good company and been going quite a while.

AMD Ryzen is the way to go, if just gaming. With Ryzen, the faster the RAM the better, i.e. 3200MHz is better than 3000MHz, is better than 2666MHz etc.

With graphics card the bigger the number the better - when comparing across a marque. To use nvidia as an example, 2080 RTX is better than a 1080 GTX is better than a 1060 GT. Unless you're looking at 4K monitors, the 1060 GTX (with 4GB or more) will be fine - though if she can stretch to a 1070 or 1070 Ti all the better.

For monitors; the first spec to check is the input lag. Unfortunately not all reviews look at this aspect, and it's never in the tech details that the manufacturers put out. If you can't find this data piece, look at the refresh rate - usually stated in milliseconds (ms). <1ms is what you're looking for in a gaming monitor.

Assuming they need everything (rig, monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers/gaming headset) they probably won't get much change from £1k.

Last edited:
Built mine in March 2015 using CCL Computers and Scan. Just had a look at my order history and my setup cost £1500 not including my storage hard drives. Add a 3TB WD and a 480GB Kingston hard drive plus 2 monitors and the cost is now closer to £2000.

The top graphics card at the time was the GTX980 but I settled for the 970 and it currently still plays everything I have with Ultra settings. I overdid it with the ram though I think.
Corsair Graphite 760T Mid Tower Case - Black
MSI GeForce GTX 970 GAMING 4GB Graphics Card
Corsair RM850 850W Modular 80+ Gold PSU
Intel Core i7 4. Overclock bundle, Intel Core i7 4790K overclocked to 4.4GHz.
Asus ROG MAXIMUS VII RANGER (SOCKET 1150)
H100i Water Cooling System
32.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
256GB Plextor M.2 PX-G256M6E
Kingston 480gb SSD
3TB WD Hard Drive
2TB Seagate External Drive (Backups)
Dual-Bay Gaming Panel ROG
2x Samsung Syncmaster 2232BW monitors

It's still a cracking high end system but 3.5 years later that list is looking rather dated. I think it's a case of trying to find the right balance. Spending enough to manage current and future games yet not going over the top.
There is no right time to buy.

Will be scrying this thread for ideas as I have £1k budget for PC for the old man. His last PC is from 2002 and struggles with intensive applications, like internet :D.

Mine's coming up to five years :eek:.

The ccl shop is a good place to visit if you are in northern england. Lots of lads on the counters who will process the order for you whilst you are there and they can discount. Loads of gaming set ups to try. Its in an industrial estate the leeds site of bradford just off the m62. Well worth a visit.

The ccl shop is a good place to visit if you are in northern england. Lots of lads on the counters who will process the order for you whilst you are there and they can discount. Loads of gaming set ups to try. Its in an industrial estate the leeds site of bradford just off the m62. Well worth a visit.
bought plenty of gear from there, its only about 5 minutes away from where i live ;)

Wish it were 5 mins from me, is Scan in Bolton any good ? thats far closer to me

Back