Any Gardeners in ?

parker13

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an area in my garden, about 24 by 21 feet, covered in 18 inches of gravel, looks like the stuff train tracks are laid on, question is how much top soil should I put on it to seed a lawn and should I put some sort of membrane over the gravel first?

Hi 1st you will have to till top soil in to the gravel,and make sure its mixed well, this will help the roots to get in between the gravel.
putting as membrane down could stop the grass from rooting deep,

you would need between 8-12 inches of top soil on top of the tilled soil/gravel.
that lot of soil. but more the better tbh.

could you not give it away free the gravel tell who ever wants it to bag n keep?

ive just today discovered that you can grow your own magic mushrooms its very cheap have a constant supply im reading a bit about it before i get stuck in lol can this be class as gardening haha

Thanks for your reply srgberian, Unfortunately I can't see me barrowing that much soil down the side of the house, I'll look into putting fake grass over the area, probably just as expensive though,

what about decking,and big pots with mixed plants,also there are a lot of plants that will grow in gravel.

It's an idea but it was decked before and it doesn't last long, even if treated.

Leave the gravel down but level it first.. then add soil as stated above. i know its hard work but you will be amazed at the quality of the grass when its done.. the gravel will act as a water store for the lawn but also help drainage during wet periods..

Remember if you are putting down grass seed, one bag for you and two bags for the birds. I would lift the gravel as there will be soil underneath.

Back