Any Corgi/ British Gas guys here

2old4this

Inactive User
Reaction score
i had a corgi guy come out as the copper water tank was making banging noise hes told me that the motor & the valves need replacing and that would cost me £160 all fitted but if i replaced the tank too it would cost £600 i got a feeling that i being ripped off > help needed thanks

i had a corgi guy come out as the copper water tank was making banging noise hes told me that the motor & the valves need replacing and that would cost me £160 all fitted but if i replaced the tank too it would cost £600 i got a feeling that i being ripped off > help needed thanks
what copper tank is it
as far as i was to understand the copper tank is used for an emersion heater
and if it is banging u have an airlock in it

does it look like this>>>

Last edited:
what copper tank is it
as far as i was to understand the copper tank is used for an emersion heater
and if it is banging u have an airlock in it

does it look like this>>>

yep thats the one how do you get airlock out

depends on the size of the tank but i put one in last year and the tank cost 180 squid

and charged the customer 380 squid

it was a days work

very rare for cylinder to get airlocks ,if its an indirect cylinder with a coil inside for heating then prob near on impossible.

if you got 2 2 port valves or one 3 port valve that controls heating and hot water then i guess you are on a conventional system

it would prob be an indirect system(vented) with a header tank in loft

i can tell you how much parts cost

3 port vlave about 90 quid

2 port valve (you would usually have 2 of these 45 quid each)

tank 180 quid

then there is copper pipe to replace about 20 quid plus tank fittings which are about 20 quid

work that out and then had his labour

very rare for cylinder to get airlocks ,if its an indirect cylinder with a coil inside for heating then prob near on impossible.

if you got 2 2 port valves or one 3 port valve that controls heating and hot water then i guess you are on a conventional system

it would prob be an indirect system(vented) with a header tank in loft

i can tell you how much parts cost

3 port vlave about 90 quid

2 port valve (you would usually have 2 of these 45 quid each)

tank 180 quid

then there is copper pipe to replace about 20 quid plus tank fittings which are about 20 quid

work that out and then had his labour

its a indirect system

Does it start to bang when you first switch it on or after a while, and does it do it with just hot water switched on also is your hot water getting very hot ie. hotter than normal.

Derek

yep thats the one how do you get airlock out
airlock
use a length of hose pipe from the mains cold to the hot tap turn them both on
the mains will push water back into the system and push the airlock back to the header tank in the loft
this should sort it

Does it start to bang when you first switch it on or after a while, and does it do it with just hot water switched on also is your hot water getting very hot ie. hotter than normal.

Derek

all i have been told that early in morning it starting making banging noises

airlock
use a length of hose pipe from the mains cold to the hot tap turn them both on
the mains will push water back into the system and push the airlock back to the header tank in the loft
this should sort it

i got another guy coming out in the evening lets see what he says

never heard of tank banging are you sure it's not the pipes banging this is due too c/h getting too hot pipes not clipped so pipes start banging if so i would sugest a thermostat has gone somewhere and it is not doing its job or try turning your boiler down see if the problem is still there

The tank (cylinder) can bang if boiler/cylinder stat has gone faulty it literally boils the water in the cylinder, not very common but does happen, a good sign of this is dirty water out of the hot tap after it was banging.

Derek

the second guy has also confirmed that the green circulating pump is making the noise hopefully over the weekend it will be replaced.

the second guy has also confirmed that the green circulating pump is making the noise hopefully over the weekend it will be replaced.

30 quid a pump thats all as i sell them in my shop

the cheapest i been quoted is £110 fitted including valves by corgi guy

i only supply items mate i dont fit but a pump will cost you around 30quid tops dont buy grundfos as there dear as hell lol

i only supply items mate i dont fit but a pump will cost you around 30quid tops dont buy grundfos as there dear as hell lol

yeah but they will last a hell of a lot longer than the cheap shit pumps!!! i swear by and only fit (12 years experience) grundfos as standard! havent had any call backs on a pump yet. make sure its a grundfos thats being fitted, or at a push a wilo would suffice.

yeah but they will last a hell of a lot longer than the cheap shit pumps!!! i swear by and only fit (12 years experience) grundfos as standard! havent had any call backs on a pump yet. make sure its a grundfos thats being fitted, or at a push a wilo would suffice.

grundfos £59.99 Wilo £47.99 from screwfix

Back