Any Cardiff City fans on here?

earwig999

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I know there are quite a few sheepshaggers on here, have you lot seen this.

It made me pmsl.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbjqBi_VwbA[/ame]

Very catchy too, oh and wtf is a ayatollah?

The Bluebirds have done this for years, and even Gareth Thomas the Rugby player celebrates by doing the dance. Its something to do with an old manager why its done, but I cannot remember the exact details.

Swans fan myself, so look out next season.

The Bluebirds have done this for years, and even Gareth Thomas the Rugby player celebrates by doing the dance. Its something to do with an old manager why its done, but I cannot remember the exact details.

Heres the reason why they do it.

It turns out that it is a Wales–via–Iran thing. In 1989, when Ayatollah Khomeini died, his funeral was shown on British TV and a Cardiff City fan was rather taken with the mourners way of expressing their grief – they slapped their heads with both hands. At the next Cardiff home game, he encouraged all his mates to copy these mourners and slap their heads whenever Cardiff scored a goal. The trend caught on. Players noticed what was happening and started doing it as well. Sam Hammam, Cardiff's chairman, can be frequently seen "doing the Ayatollah", as it has come to be known, at home games. In fact, Hammam, who is from Lebanon, has been wrongly credited with starting the celebration.
Last year, the trend caught on even more when the Welsh rugby captain, Gareth Thomas, had a bet with a mate and started celebrating his tries for Wales and the Lions by doing the ayatollah. And now, the ayatollah has caught on in a third sport, cricket, as Simon Jones, who is Welsh and plays his cricket in Cardiff, has got the England players doing it too.
I am hopeful that this will catch on at my football club, West Ham. We have FOUR Welsh players on our books, two of whom were signed from Cardiff in the close season, and one of whom, Danny Gabbidon, is actually quite good;). I think to make them all feel at home we should start doing the ayatollah as well. I am going to tell my mate who has a season ticket at Upton Park. And of course, Wales are playing England at football this weekend, so if Wales do well there perhaps we will see some head–slapping. What a great celebration!
So, an Iranian funeral lament has become a Welsh football ritual, a British rugby celebration and an English cricket 'thing'. You've gotta love it.

Source

used to be a big Newport County fan in my younger days, so like you cardiff were our arch enemy. looking forward to next season after your promotion ? lol there will be murders.

used to be a big Newport County fan in my younger days, so like you cardiff were our arch enemy. looking forward to next season after your promotion ? lol there will be murders.

As usual a good punch up will ensue. Followed by a hair raising trip back down the M4 away from the filth. lol.

AaaaH Bless Their Cotton Socks!! Now where's SWANSEA's Song...LOL

Back