Annoying ads

Delliar

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hey there :)
How to block ads on Windows? Probably I downloaded something and now pop-ups show up all the time, how to fix it?

run task manager , check in startup and look for programs that are running in the background

Hi Delliar,

What spud1966 has said may be a solution to your issue. However, determining the source of the ads will help to solve the problem. Can you be a little more specific and give some more details please? For example, do these ads come up when you have any browsers open, are they ads from windows (I.e. Cortana, action centre notifications, Windows ink ads, etc), or from another program? Further to spud1966's reply, if you want to check if you can solve the issue with task manager, you need to press Ctrl+Alt+Del, click "Task Manager", then click the "Start-Up" tab. That will give you a list of all the programs that start up when Windows starts. If you see the relevant entry here, you can disable it by right clicking and clicking on "Disable". However, be careful not to disable anything you are unsure about. More often than not though the issue will lie where one has clicked on something online, which adds an extension to your browser that causes the unwanted popups. If this is the case, it is the browser settings that you would have to concern yourself about for a solution. A preliminary measure for the future that I would suggest would be to use an ad blocker like AdBlock Plus which is free to use and eradicates virtually all unwanted ads and popups. If you search for this in google it should be the first one on the list. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Karim

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey there :)
How to block ads on Windows? Probably I downloaded something and now pop-ups show up all the time, how to fix it?

In order to avoid such issue with annoying ads, I use Adlock. It's available for Windows, Google Chrome and Android devices. It not only blocks all kinds of ads but also protects from potentially harmful links. So, I recommend to try it adlock

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are referring to browser ads, I always use adblock plus firefox addon.

Second on ublock origin. I have it on my chrome and it works great so far. Then again, I also run a pihole server at home so it gives me a network-wide adblock

I just remembered, some routers can block a lot of ads such as EdgeRouter. I have one but have never tried setting it up to block ads.

Back