****** And the new traffic Mangement

trashuk

Member ++
Reaction score
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

why do ****** have to keep slapping us with more traffic shaping why dont they just say all you on 20 mb can we keep your money and give you no service wotsoever in return.

Soon this is going to be a 24 hr thing i bet where you are ALLOWED (oh thank you oh mighty ones) a certain bandwidth and if you exceed it....down to dial up hell you will go :p

It was not to long ago when they rumours were flying around about 50mb...lets take a 0 off that now ...and they probably going to roll out the new 5mb connection with a whole 1GB of bandwidth per day ...woo hoo...

I thought all this broadband lark was to get faster and more easy..instead it looks as if we have to accept wotever terms these gits dish out and then bend over for some more...

And to think i used to hate the women from AOL who told me after about a hour of being disconnected GOODBYE :p..think she now works at ****** :D:D:D

What do the updates to the traffic management policy mean?

To make sure all customers get the most from their connection, we automatically reduce the speed of the heaviest users at peak evening times - between 4pm and 9pm. In extreme cases, we'll now also reduce the speed between 10am and 3pm - something that'll have an impact on just 1% of our customers. < Shurly thats got to be false avtersizing or somthing, as at least 50 percent are going to get stung by this pish!

I

I know how you feel mate, I'm being managed by V**** as well. I haven't seen 20MB/dl in a few weeks :(

i think iam going to have to sack them at the end of the year pay for 20mb and get 5mb when cap

But this is just hitting people who are downloading copious amounts of data from the internet, right? Its not affecting people who, for the want of a better term, are just using their connection normally?

How do you use a 20MB connection normally as opposed to a 2MB connection?

if i hammer my 20mb connection then once it gets capped and go back to my 2mb, the 2mb is unaffected by it

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

i download 2 or 3 films from newsgroup may be a week and get hit with capping theres no way i can be in the top 10% never mind the top 1% they just hit everyone

Why doesn't the law protect us ?

I mean if they cut the speed then they should cut the price too. How is it justifiable to charge full price for a cut service ?

these days I only download a few (3-4) divx films/episodes a week (maybe 3gb tops) and I still get hit by the cap practically every night - on 20mb - and the imposed cap is so low that if I have anything else going on at all then voip is pointless - ie I cant surf and use voip at the same time

From what I am reading here, then it looks like people may be breaking the law when they hit these limits.

Everyone who signs up accepts the terms and conditions....

Maybe so, but it is open to interpretation the "reasonable usage allowance". To me, a 20MB connection would indicate that you expect a high level of bandwidth and so this reasonable usage should reflect that level (to me, reasonable for 20MB would be 5GB/day, which would only be downloading 1.5hrs/day at full rate). From what I can gather the traffic management is kicking a lot sooner than these kind of levels.

It's not breaking the law by hitting the limits. There is an assumption that large volumes of downloads equates to copyright material but this isn't necessarily the case (though granted it probably is in most instances).

i just dont like the way these companies advertise, throwing words like 'unlimited' around, when its not the case but then it the small print limits apply, do these guys not have dictionaries?

torrents or from newsgroups they never told me I will get cap for sending my home made video over the internet to my sister in the u.s.a.

yeah, but your not being capped for that - you are more likely being capped for your torrent and newsgroup usage.

Plus, your upstream is a lot slower than your downstream.

torrents only some times like 1 or 2 time in around 30 days but send lots of video of my kds to sis and get capped on that for up loading alot and some of my sis sends me i get capped too

From what I am reading here, then it looks like people may be breaking the law when they hit these limits.

Everyone who signs up accepts the terms and conditions....
ahh but the point is when i signed up there was no capping
they have now changed the rules
what if i say to them ok
i have been with u now on 20mb since it was brought out
i will now pay you £10 per month for the service
what do u think they would say??
if the can change the goal posts so can i

if they carry on with this i will go to 2 mb they can fook off
i pay them silly money per mth
and i am not going to keep paying for an inferia service

ahh but the point is when i signed up there was no capping
they have now changed the rules
what if i say to them ok
i have been with u now on 20mb since it was brought out
i will now pay you £10 per month for the service
what do u think they would say??
if the can change the goal posts so can i

if they carry on with this i will go to 2 mb they can fook off
i pay them silly money per mth
and i am not going to keep paying for an inferia service

Well said mate and i would think most of us are in the same boat here, when we signed up to TW there was no cap at all then this shower of theifs took over and moved the goals. whilst i appreciate their terms and conditions will have said 'subject to change' i cant help thinking this is just a disgrace. you pay for 20mg download speeds and you get to use that for around 30 minutes a day then your reduced to 5mg but you continue to pay for the full amount.

its just not right but at the end of the day what can you do about it. They have the best service at the moment but this is just so annoying. Its irrelevant what people download its the fact people only get to use the service they pay for for around 30 mins during these peak hours is wrong.

From an objective viewpoint, they gave all their customers a fair amount of time before making these changes - so if people didnt want to live under the new system they simply needed to change ISP.

That's absolutely untrue. Many here were moaning about capping before they announced it, I even had an engineer round to investigate my mysterious speed cut in half issues, to which he admitted it was being 'traffic shaped' from 2mb to 1mb. It was weeks later that ****** announce it's new traffic shaping measures to the world.

not until several months AFTER they started it - until this press release (and in some cases even after) both CS and TS would lead you in a nicely scripted dance rather than admit that the reason you were getting a fraction of the bandwidth was because they were imposing a cap - lying through their teeth rather than admit liability

I dont know about anyone else but I never recieved a letter stating that if I actually used my unlimited 20mb service the speed would be cut - I do remember seeing a leaflet saying they were upgrading my speed from 10mb to 20mb tho - presumably at this point they were perfectly happpy with my usage?

only alternative is ADSL which is slow, and has bandwidth limits - not sayign that the muppets arent the best going - but they arent supplying what they say they do - they blame customers for this - in practically any other field this wouldnt be acceptable - if you had 2 butchers in your area - 1 of which only sold tinned spam - the other said they had a full selection of meat (in fact delivered nice shiny menu's to your house on a weekly basis) and you then ordered steak - recieving sausages wouldnt be acceptable after you had paid for steak - neither would being told if you dont like it go eat spam.

edit - a hell of a lot of people dont have the choice just to leave anyway - they operate minimium contracts and as they wont admit to a problem you would be in breach if you left - that said I no longer have an account with said muppets - for internet or anything else they supply - so their bandwidth caps - amongst other things - have cost them - up until this I had an account for several years - v*rgin are muppets - much worse than before they were rebranded

Last edited:
I am asking if the traffic shaping is affecting users who are not downloading via torrents or from newsgroups on a regular basis.

Essentially, people who are not downloading huge amounts of data from the internet on a residential package - are they having the same problems or not?

No, Not really !

I rarely hit the limits yet i'm online often for 16-20 hours per day with all the normal applications like msn, web browsing etc. I even have a voip phone which I use extensively.

Unfortunately, I think people got very spoilt in the days before stm because they thought bandwidth was free and they could have as much as they could use 24/7. That may of been true initially when the customer base was relatively small but its impossible to maintain once that customer base grows to a reasonably profitable level.

Expecting vm or any other provider to upgrade infrastructure to cope with maximum possible bandwidth usage at any time is infantile at best. Do the maths and work out the kind of bandwidth required. Its just not economically possible.

Paying what we do for what we get is still damn good value. £21 for 20 Meg with upto 6 Gig between 10am-3pm & upto 3 Gig between 4pm-9pm before speed reduction is a hell of a lot better than you could resonably expect for that price. Even speed reduced to 5 Meg its still ok - there's no streaming that takes anywhere near that bandwidth. You certainly can't compare 5Meg to dial up - thats just plain stupid !

When I signed up the service was 512k down, 128k up. Now for less money I get a minimum of 5Meg down and 192k up. Why should I be complaining ?

Back