Analouge to Digital signal issues

harveybham

Inactive User
Reaction score
im currently using a Dbox2, Dreambox and a cable modem im having trouble getting all channels on the dreambox which is in a differnt room. iv tried everyting i can think of but still does not get better. Before i describe my setup i was wondering does the cable company change anything to do with the signal when you change from analouge to digital. My setup was setup for a Analouge setup and has been like that ever since i had cable. Then i cancelled my contract and moved to a Dbox but the signal still worked so i carried on using it.

Here is my setup

1x Cable modem
1x Dbox
1 x Dreambox

outside my house in the box i have put a 3 way koing spillter which has one cable wire going to front room, one going into dining room and one going into bedroom

in the front room i have then added a 2 way spillter and put the cable modem and dbox onto it and this is working perfect in this room. (note when the cable was setup back in 8 years ago this is where the analouge cable was)

i then have the dreambox in the dining room which is attaced to the yellow booster. I have problems in this room where i can not get all channles working.

Any ideas?

First job m8 is check the wire going to dinning room make sure there are no stray wires shorting out, and second may be that you are trying to split the feed to many times as you lose signal strength for every splitter.

Derek

iv checked all connections by plugging them direct and making sure they are the only connections running at the time and each connection works great. how could i increase the signal more or how could i get all these devices working?

More boosters where needed i have one in the living room and one in the bedroom works no problem.

living room - Dbox2, modem, yellow box

bedroom - SLX booster, subbed box, Dbox2

FTA channels all work fine

Last edited:
Iv tired the same setup as above but i cant get any pay channels to work. what is the job of a isolater and would it work for me?

The isolator is a device which prevents DC and low frequency voltages from passing through the line. Its there to prevent dangerous voltages (potentially lethal) from getting from the cable into your house AND vice-versa.

There should be one isolator device fitted at the point of cable entry into the building (or possibly in a box on your outside wall). This will be fitted by the cc and, under no circumstances, should you remove it.

Their was a device on the outside box which i removed to add the spilter but i do not think that is the isolater. insde the house in the box their is a box and when i unscrew it their is a Isolater whch is labelled FM and TV but i have not removed this one at all.

in the front room i have then added a 2 way spillter and put the cable modem and dbox onto it and this is working perfect in this room. (note when the cable was setup back in 8 years ago this is where the analouge cable was)

Herein lies the probable answer to your problem, m8. You're best off having the modem on a fairly long (3m or more) patch cable from it, to the splitter shared by your dbox. Even if this patch cable is coiled up out of the way.

Otherwise, the modem will affect other boxes on your local setup. Don't ask me why, just try it! As a test, take the modem off the network completely. Does the DM work now? If not, try the DM without the booster, as it might be an Attenuator you need (to reduce signal strength) rather than something that increases it!

Oh- and the internal FM splitter, I junked mine and use a standard splitter at this junction. And nt hell never even clocked this when they changed me from Analogue to Digital, LOL!

Cheers - AL :Cheers:

Last edited:
i was messing around today and i removed the spillter out of the room, i added the internet modem into the upstairs room, so i have no spillter installed in the house at all expect for outside the house. i have three live connections now and it has improved a lot of channels and signal levels have improved a lot.

BUT a problem still remains, Channels such as sky sports 1 and 3 are flicking and have a signal level of 87% the BER is over the roof with something like 1645, and channels such as sky action do not work at all they have signal levels such as 72%, but on this dreambox i have the yellow booster connected to it.

Any more ideas it will be appericated. cheers

I used to have this same problem, it has nothing to do with the cable or the feed, but the Dreambox. they are poor at recieving low signals and thats why you aren't getting these channels.

Try to connect your Dbox2 where the dreambox is and see the difference.

Yep, I can support that. Apparantly genuine ones are ok but the clones have shite tuners.

Not just the clones you can usually get round this with a booster and the right tuner drivers selected.

thebigman

does your dreambox have a coax or screw fitting on the dreambox?? newer clones have the screw type which have a better tuner and generally pick up the missing channels.

Not just the clones you can usually get round this with a booster and the right tuner drivers selected.

thebigman

How do you change the tuner drivers? Its not something I have come across. Personally I found the boosters useless. They boost channels with poor signal but then you lose the ones with normal to high signals because they are boosted to much!

dw v2.0 on has the option in the blue button menu, you can choose from 2 sets old drivers and the new drivers.

thebigman

How do you change the tuner drivers? Its not something I have come across. Personally I found the boosters useless. They boost channels with poor signal but then you lose the ones with normal to high signals because they are boosted to much!

Had the same problem on my dream tried booster and a variable attenuator would gain some channels and loose others due to to high signal for some just couldnt get the level right got it working by fitting a labgear FJU402 two way splitter it has dropped the ber right down to 0 maybe acting as a filter? getting all channels now no problems it was only £2.99p got to be worth a try.

Hope this helps
Cheers

xenafan

Back