Analogue switch-off starts October 17

slydog

New Member ++
Reaction score
The switching off of analogue terrestrial TV signals will commence in Whitehaven on October 17, Digital UK has confirmed.

Ford Ennals, chief executive of the organisation overseeing the UK's digital switchover process, said that today's announcement of a date makes switchover "a reality."

In May, captions will appear on analogue channels transmitted to Whitehaven and environs. The messages will advise viewers that the set they are currently using "must be adapted." On October 17, BBC Two will cease being available in analogue in the area. On November 14, all remaining analogue channels will be permanently switched off and all households in the area will be able to receive "at least" 18 Freeview channels.

"The countdown to a digital future has begun," said broadcasting minister Shaun Woodward. "In October, Whitehaven will start the process of digital switchover. Residents will be able to reap the benefits of a greater choice of TV channels and better quality pictures and sound.

"Arrangements are in place to ensure Whitehaven residents get the help and support they need. This will help to ensure the UK switch to digital is as smooth as possible."

25,000 homes in the Whitehaven area will receive letters advising them of a Digital Switchover Help Scheme. The scheme will provide digital terrestrial receivers to people aged 75 and over and those with certain disabilities.

It seems a bit stupid because using an indoor aerial even in a strong signal area when traffic goes by outside the picture breaks up. At least with analogue you have an option to avoid this when your watching bbc1, itv1, etc.. also external aerials are quite expensive so not everyone can afford to get one for their bedroom tv.

True that at this moment in time the signal isnt exactly good enough for perfect reception indoors however i was sure that as part of the analogue switch-off the digital signal would be boosted, thus allowing for the use of indoor aerials.

I have indoor ariel. I have two taped toghter lol. Everytime a car drives past it goes all pixelated. living on a main road is a pain lmfao

So if you dont receive any signal and no computer or phone thats capable of viewing tv they wont give you a freeview box or something? Well surely no license fee then. Wonder how many people will be saying you give me something to decode the signals. My brother in law does not have a pc for the streaming, only has a non digital ready tv non cabled area and no satellite tv, basically he wont get any signal for tv, why should he pay to get an upgrade for the five channels he gets? I bet the bbc will still want thier license fee though.

There is a debate currently on about TV Licenses. About if they should be apyed or not on FreeView. You can contact your local council see if theyll give you one

Note: these predictions are based upon a rooftop aerial mounted 10 meters above ground level. They are based on a central point in your postcode area. Local terrain and increased aerial height may make more (or less) services available.

Help will be available to low income families and the elderly, a government approved RDI (registered digital installer) who has undergone criminal record checks, passed at least 2 level 2 NVQs relevant to the industry, adheres to a specified code of conduct and best practices, has at least 2 million quids worth of public liability insurance and a load of other stuff i cant remember, will be paid to help upgrade one television in the home, any more than one set will have to be paid for by the person themselfs. Landlords also HAVE to ensure their tennants homes are digital ready before the switchover

Digi- I made an enquiry on behalf of someone in these parts as to when our specific xmitter will be upgraded -and was told March 2010 was pencilled in but that was optimistic and that later in the year was more likely. At least it ended a bit of spec that wed be in the minority that couldnt get it at all.

We have a fair share of the elderly in this area and they are confused already-but i think theres now an element of over publicity too soon- there are many elderly folk who are concerned about the switchover as they hear so much about it-when they hear how far away it is they wonder what all the fuss is about. Youd be amazed how many are contented with their 4 channel analogue set up(yes i do include s4c-LOl-the older generation love it!) and a transister radio.

I've mentioned this before - but i've yet to see documented in the publicity anything about vcrs and dvdrs becoming almost obsolete overnight either. Theres still plenty in this area that like a good E180 LOL.....

Last edited:
Useful link Dave. Another good source of info, transmitter strength etc is dtg.org (digital terrestrial group)

Back