Ambit 200

beany_123456

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

At the present moment i have internet with VM. I'm purchasing a AMBIT 200, WOULD THIS BE OK FOR ME TO MODIFY and use as my new free modem? Is there anything i need to watch out for when im buying this modem?

From the guide: Haynes Cable Modem Guide rev 1.7.2, if i follow the AMBIT 200 section, will this be enough for me to have a complete hacked AMBIT 200?

If possible, can someone please tell me briefly the steps to follow when hacking this modem?

Many thanks

Hi,

At the present moment i have internet with VM. I'm purchasing a AMBIT 200, WOULD THIS BE OK FOR ME TO MODIFY and use as my new free modem? Is there anything i need to watch out for when im buying this modem?

From the guide: Haynes Cable Modem Guide rev 1.7.2, if i follow the AMBIT 200 section, will this be enough for me to have a complete hacked AMBIT 200?If possible, Many thanks
that all the info u need hack it but u will need a max232 and possible a blackcat lead incase if things go wrong...

Last edited:
What is a max232? Why would i need this?

thanks

You will need a Max232 or 233 to access the modem to mod it m8.
Also as Gentlex pointed out a jtag lead as well if the modems bricked or gets bricked.

Also,

What is the best image for these cable modems? I can see there are a few around...

im considering buying a AMBIT 200 from ebay... just want to make sure that i know what im doing when modifying this modem..

All help will be appreciated...

As you have read and seen there is a lot out there like Sigma x2 1.25 or as you will maybe see in the New Ambit 200 2008 guide Sigma x2 13.5 fercsa both are good FW on the A200s just make sure you check the tsop chip for the right model Sigma FW can go on ABTC & BBTC only and BTC must use original 2.67.1011 FW.

And Yes that max232 your looking at will do the job just nicely.

Hope that helps you out m8. ;)

Thanks for that Stressed..

Should i cancel my current INTERNET services with VM?

Can you direct me to place where i can get a cheap max232 and a black cat lead?

just make sure you check the tsop chip for the right model Sigma FW can go on ABTC & BBTC only and BTC must use original 2.67.1011 FW.

What is a tsop chip? ABTC & BBTC? and purchase of each?

keep a basic package with the cable company .

Its entirely up to you if you want to cancel your Internet with VM i can only give you help with the clone side of it, I my self pay for a subbed modem from VM along with tv and phone but others i know just use clones its your choice m8.

Max232 or 233 & also Jtag you can make your self if you know a little about soldering and can follow wiring diagrams easy found in here on DW and also in the haynes cable modem guide you can also try Wayneeeboy for the max232 hardware he's well known and trusted member & always very helpful if you have a problem with his product. ;)

As for the tsop chip when you open the modem look at the board for the chip at the top left you will see the letters MX look for the code it should say something like 29v160ABTC-90 if so than its good for Sgmax2 FW.

craigend33, i will still pay for my tv and phone but will cancel my internet services... I will then split the cable and use it for my internet.. just to make sure, would this be ok?

Stressed you're a star, thanks for your info so far...

I will follow the 2008 AMBIT 200 GUIDE and hopefully with your help, i kinda feel confident. :banana:

BEANY

You will be supprised how much a subbed (paid for modem) comes in handy when you need to get access if your clone has problems m8 i cant tell you what to do with your services but if i was you i would try keep at least a basic 2mb service with vm at least in case of clone problem's thats what i suggest but you dont have to take what i say m8 like i said it's your choice in what road you want to go down.

Yeah the 2008 ambit 200 guide makes it so easy there is other ways to do them as well as the new guide like the Tftp Update tool but i wouldnt suggest that to anyone whos just starting to learn it takes a bit of getting used to.

What can i say i love my 200s :proud: when it comes to 250s 255s i get messed up and forget the commands and such ask Gentlex i awlays try to help members in threads hes helping them in when hes offline i tend to get a little confused lol. nice to see you feel confident thats what its all about m8 getting stuck in and having a go knowing that you have help at hand if you get stuck on some part of the modding some say giving help and info is spoon feeding a newbie but if we didnt help those in need and aks questions our selfs none of us would get anywhere so to me helping somone like your self makes me and your self feel better and also making new friends is good for us all.

Thats what makes DW what it is one of the best friendly fourms online those who share there knowledge care about the knowledge & are happy to see others learn and put it to good use.

Sorry if i went on a bit there but i just had to say what i feel m8 anyways i best get some rest before the little one wakes up agian i'm of my on holiday for 2 weeks from this monday so i wont be about for a while but i will try get wireless acces via the lappy so i might be lurking on & off...lol

Back