Amazon Fire TV AMAZON Fire TV Stick vs alternatives

Grimeire

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im going to invest in an android box for streaming/plex. From being on the forum i notice a lot of people recommend the fire stick and i can see why they are dirt cheap.

but i have a few questions.

1. Im curious are these sluggish as they dont seem to be very powerful from looking at the spec

2. what are the remotes like for the fire sticks?

3. Am I better to just buy a high spec chinese box from ali-exp?

4. any other android box recommendations?

5. is the android locked down in anyway?

the last thing i want is something that ill have to replace in a few months as it aint powerful enough.

I think you really get the best out of the firestick if you have an Amazon prime subscription. It doesn't seem to be locked down though. You can install open-source apps.

If you just need a box for streaming then I think a Chinese box would be just as good if not better.

I think you really get the best out of the firestick if you have an Amazon prime subscription. It doesn't seem to be locked down though. You can install open-source apps.

If you just need a box for streaming then I think a Chinese box would be just as good if not better.

i have no interest what so ever in amazon prime., so im probably wasting my time with the firestick.

I was under the believe that the firesticks dont have play store?

ill probably go down the chinese route alright but trying to find a good one with a decent remote is the problem

I use a minix neo u1 with a A2 remote. I will upgrade to the new minix neo u9-h when the prices drop. Minix devices are not cheap but they work great and firmware support is excellent.

Hey just looking at the spec of it. looks like a good box. There is so many to choose from it hard to know which one to get. im thinking of the Mi TV box as i have a lot of xiaomi stuff already and cant fault it.

I've had Firesticks MX2 and M8
Even though the M8 is a lot higher spec, the Firestick was a lot more stable regarding crashes etc.
A bit trickier loading the necessary though. :)

Back