Alexa Amazon Echo/Dot Chat

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd make a thread for those who have and are interested in the Amazon Echo/Dot

Share your tips, hacks, skills etc. :)

I've only had mine a couple of days and slowly getting used to talking to a speaker lol
Loving the calendar, I add all my jobs that come in and dates I need to meet customers etc, and ask her daily what I have planned

gives me flash briefing on news, what the weather is all while Im getting ready :)

I ask her then my daughters train is getting in and also tells me of any delays

I'm sure there is much more that I haven't even touched the surface with yet

What do you use yours for ? And what benefits do you get out of it

amazon-echo-and-amazon-echo-dot-136409622278103901-160915143338.jpg

I'm just using the basic ones at the moment similar to you.
News, weather and music. Also using timer function when cooking food.

Want to try out home automation (lights, tv etc). Hoping to buy items soon and just waiting for some good deals on Amazon.

Hi Guys,

I integrated RTI into my Echo, I can turn on the Tele, change channels, turn volume up and down etc.

Alexa turn on ITV it will change the sky to ITVHD

Like this:
YouTube

Also Sonos integration will be the beginning of next year (fingers crossed), at the moment I can turn on / off sonos but nothing else.

and if you have Nest heating I think you just add it to echo skills?

Brilliant device, will only get better.

Mick

Just a matter of time mate

Check this out
YouTube

But how do you get it to control the TV @Mick ? Is it a skill you use ? I can't see how to actually install RTI, the YouTube video just shows it working
Unless I've missed something

Hi Guys,

I integrated RTI into my Echo, I can turn on the Tele, change channels, turn volume up and down etc.

Alexa turn on ITV it will change the sky to ITVHD

Like this:
YouTube

Also Sonos integration will be the beginning of next year (fingers crossed), at the moment I can turn on / off sonos but nothing else.

and if you have Nest heating I think you just add it to echo skills?

Brilliant device, will only get better.

Mick

Last edited by a moderator:
But how do you get it to control the TV @Mick ? Is it a skill you use ? I can't see how to actually install RTI, the YouTube video just shows it working
Unless I've missed something

Sorry mate, I should of been more informative.

RTI is a system; an all in one system.

Bit like harmony but much more advanced, and can get very expensive ( I bought my system over time )

Mick

Last edited:
Update 20 October: As well as the Dot going on sale today, Amazon has also announced a software update which brings new features to both devices. Here's a summary of what they're getting:

Shop with your voice: Amazon Prime members can now just say “order paper towels,” “order dog food” or “buy some LEGO” and Alexa will find a product that ships with Prime and apply available discounts. You can complete the entire ransaction using just your voice in a conversation with Alexa – there’s no need to open an app, look at a screen, or tap a button. Plus you can also say “Alexa, where’s my stuff?” and get an update on your order.

Echo Spatial Perception: Put simply, this means that when you have more than one Echo, they will intelligently work out which is nearest and only that unit will respond. It learns over time and is said to get more accurate the more you use it.

To-Do lists, sports scores: Although Alexa can already take reminders, a new List Skill API means you can now use Todoist and Any.do lists. You set which one is the main list provider via the app, and you can then ask Alexa to add milk to your shopping list. Football fans can now Alexa for updates in the UEFA Champions League, with scores now available on demand, and more local sports to come soon.

I bagged an Echo and a Dot.
Using them for the basics like mentioned but will soon get them hooked up to sockets/lights soon.

Once IFTTT is enabled on the UK ones it will open up all sorts of opportunities. Some of the guys at work have been making their own skills which they said was fairly easy. The hardest part is getting the 'language' right.. You have to really think how you might make it work. You cannot just set up your skill to listen for - Alexa, do this for me. - You have to really think about how you might leave pauses, order of words etc..

Makes you appreciate it more! Plus if an API exists for something then you can probably get it to work.

I followed the Kodi tutorial but could not get it to work with the Echo & Skills. May try again when I have more time.

Its a bit strange as to why IFTTT only works for US customers but supposed to be working shortly for us as well.

This is quite a good video and shows how to connect the Harmony hub to Smartthings hub and then connect to Echo

Link

Why do you need 2 hubs @gadgethome

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Why do you need 2 hubs @gadgethome

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
I could be wrong, but what I've read so far is that Echo only will work in 2 ways.

Echo -> IFTTT -> Harmony
-or-
Echo -> Smartthings hub -> Harmony

You Can Now Use Alexa To Control Your Logitech Harmony-Connected Entertainment Devices (Doesnt seem to be supported yet here in the UK)

http://www.redmondpie.com/you-can-n...d&utm_campaign=Feed:+RedmondPie+(Redmond+Pie)

Logitech has today announced that those using Alexa-powered Amazon Echo, or its smaller sibling, the Echo Dot, can now control their Logitech Harmony devices using nothing but the power of their voices.

Logitech informed its users that they could look forward to being able to “start and stop Harmony Activities, tune to your favorite TV channel, or directly launch Roku channels using Amazon Alexa.” The connection to Alexa will require a hub-based remote such as the Harmony Elite or Harmony Companion, and of course, an Amazon Echo or Dot in order to relay the commands.

Harmony Alexa

In order to get started, owners of the required Logitech remotes and Amazon hardware will have to follow a few simple steps in order to set the wheels in motion. The process starts with launching the Alexa app on a smartphone and selecting Smart Home from the navigation menu. Next, users will need to select the Get More Smart Home Skills option and finally, search for “Harmony — Optimized for Smart Home” skill and then enable it.

There’s more detailed information on the steps required to get Amazon Echo or Dot to pair with Harmony remotes over at Logitech’s support website.

There is also a handy rundown of what Alexa will be able to do in conjunction with a user’s Harmony system. Never before has it been easier for parents to turn the TV off in a vain attempt to get them to go to bed instead of begging for one more TV show. I’ve been there, trust me. It happens.

Harmony-hub-based-remote-Alexa

Logitech’s Harmony support for Alexa and the Amazon Echo highlights another move towards the home automation and digital assistant platform, which is giving rise to competitors everywhere. Even Google is going to try and steal some thunder here, with Google Home launching soon, while Apple’s solution is rumored to be in the works, though Apple already has Siri which can do home automation from iPhones, iPads, Apple Watch, Macs and Apple TV devices.

When it comes to having a virtual assistant packed inside a device to rule the living room, it seems like Alexa is the biggest name in the game.

If you don’t own Echo or Harmony yet but want to get into controlling your living room with voice game, you can get both right now.

Hopefully/maybe when we get the Latest Software Version: 4.1.4.8 ? :)

Im still on Software Version: 4.0.0.8 , tried a couple of things to force update but wont have any of it

Im presuming I have the 2nd generation Echo

Last edited:
Yes aame for me. Tried unplugging it, leaving it and then power on but still no update.

I think we are all 2nd Gen echo if you purchased through amazon since UK release date.

I think my dots are 2nd generation but the main echo is first generation (not sure lol).

But there will be loads of new skills, and integration on the horizon - the big one for me is the Sonos.

Mick

Mick, think you are correct. The Echo seems to be 1st gen even though its been out for several years in the US.

I thought Sonos was integrated and working? I dont have one myself to try out.

Back