Alexa Amazon Echo/Dot Chat

I gotta say my Echo dot is the best xmas present ever!

A year ago I bought some Energenie plugs with a Raspberry Pi hat.
They sat in a drawer until yesterday.

I had a day to myself so I got them out, whacked the hat on a Pi2 and googled the shit out of it.

What I have ended up with is a Pi2 with Apache installed configured to run Python scripts when hitting it from a browser. This in turn can trigger on/off events to the sockets individually or as a group (currently 2 but just purchased a 4 pack for £29.99! The same price a single Wemo).

Next was to make Alexa do the work. I went to IFTTT and created an applet that runs from Alexa commands. So for example I now say 'Alexa, trigger sockets on' and the two plugs (with xmas tree lights) come on etc.. The Applet is Alexa talking to IFTTT Maker which simply hits the URL of the Python script.
I also have a cron job that turns the lights on/off at various times

Yes there are cleaner/easier solutions but there is no fun and it costs a lot more! Plus with the Energenie plugs, although I have bought the ENER002 (I think) sockets which are legacy, they are also compatible with the MiHome hub should I go the 'Easy' route in the future.

I was very pleased when I achieved this yesterday. I also soldered some copper wire onto the Pi Hat for the sockets to extend the range. The Pi is also my VPN and Subsonic server as well as a betting site scraper. So it seriously multi tasks and costs pennies.

Did I document any of the above.. No! However I intend to use my time at 'Work' today to write up some pointers should I need to do it again as it was not simple.

A year ago I bought some Energenie plugs with a Raspberry Pi hat.
They sat in a drawer until yesterday.

I had a day to myself so I got them out, whacked the hat on a Pi2 and googled the shit out of it.

What I have ended up with is a Pi2 with Apache installed configured to run Python scripts when hitting it from a browser. This in turn can trigger on/off events to the sockets individually or as a group (currently 2 but just purchased a 4 pack for £29.99! The same price a single Wemo).

Next was to make Alexa do the work. I went to IFTTT and created an applet that runs from Alexa commands. So for example I now say 'Alexa, trigger sockets on' and the two plugs (with xmas tree lights) come on etc.. The Applet is Alexa talking to IFTTT Maker which simply hits the URL of the Python script.
I also have a cron job that turns the lights on/off at various times

Yes there are cleaner/easier solutions but there is no fun and it costs a lot more! Plus with the Energenie plugs, although I have bought the ENER002 (I think) sockets which are legacy, they are also compatible with the MiHome hub should I go the 'Easy' route in the future.

I was very pleased when I achieved this yesterday. I also soldered some copper wire onto the Pi Hat for the sockets to extend the range. The Pi is also my VPN and Subsonic server as well as a betting site scraper. So it seriously multi tasks and costs pennies.

Did I document any of the above.. No! However I intend to use my time at 'Work' today to write up some pointers should I need to do it again as it was not simple.

brilliant stuff mate. This is exactly the type of stuff we need for the smart tech rooms .Look forward to more from you on this and some pictures :)

I am loosely documenting it now, more so that if it all goes tits up I know how to set it up again.

Yesterday I set it up on a PiB but thought having two Pi's doing what one could do was overkill. So I spent an hour moving it to a Pi2 which of course was a different software set up... However all working good and I sure will get some photos and try to document as best I can what I did.

This is the Pi Hat (You can get a pack with two sockets also for about £20)
Energenie Pi-mote Remote Control for Raspberry Pi: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

This is a 4 pack of the sockets plus a bonus RF remote. I have not got the remote yet (arriving tonight) to see if it does the same as Alexa. I envisage some tweaking.
Energenie Remote Control Sockets (Pack of 4): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I've just kitted my house out with the LightwaveRF switches, they work amazing with Alexa, you can create moods or just tell the lights what level to dim to. Don't understand the "if thus then that" but other than that the wife and daughter love the Spotify integration and how it works with our soundbar the only thing I'm struggling with is the harmony hub, switches on my fire tv, Apple TV, sound bar and vu box, but won't turn the tv on even though it's programmed to do so, does turn the tv off tho so can't complain to much, will keep messing with it

I've just kitted my house out with the LightwaveRF switches, they work amazing with Alexa, you can create moods or just tell the lights what level to dim to. Don't understand the "if thus then that" but other than that the wife and daughter love the Spotify integration and how it works with our soundbar the only thing I'm struggling with is the harmony hub, switches on my fire tv, Apple TV, sound bar and vu box, but won't turn the tv on even though it's programmed to do so, does turn the tv off tho so can't complain to much, will keep messing with it

I use the MyHarmony program on Windows to edit the activities. If you go to Devices, highlight the tv and then click the "Add or Fix a Command". You try to let it fix itself or you can teach Harmony which buttons to use to turn on/off the device. Maybe worth a try.

I am loosely documenting it now, more so that if it all goes tits up I know how to set it up again.

Yesterday I set it up on a PiB but thought having two Pi's doing what one could do was overkill. So I spent an hour moving it to a Pi2 which of course was a different software set up... However all working good and I sure will get some photos and try to document as best I can what I did.

Energenie Pi-mote Remote Control for Raspberry Pi: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

This is a 4 pack of the sockets plus a bonus RF remote. I have not got the remote yet (arriving tonight) to see if it does the same as Alexa. I envisage some tweaking.

are these the same ones Energenie 13A Wireless Remote Control Sockets Pack of 4 | Plugs | Screwfix.com

Can the echo/echo dot communicate with other echo or echo dots?

I.e I want to say, tell 'input names here' his/her dinner is ready and it would send that message to the dot in that room designated as whoever's echo or echo dot it is?

Looking again I think they are the same. I was comparing to Amazon who have now reduced theirs to £19.99 also!

I am trying to get the £10 back now without having to return the item and re-order..

*EDIT*

So they wont refund the difference.. I have placed another order and managed to get a free return out of them.

Thanks for letting me know about the screwfix price or I would have never seen the £10 again!

Last edited:

am i correct in saying that with the add on for the Pi, you have converted the pi into a hub for the plugs? Would this be a direct replacement for the hub or does it have limitations?

evening all. thanks for the advice before Christmas. the missus loves the alexa. I have bought the harmony companion hub and so far I have set it up to control my amp tv and vm box but only through the remote. How do i get Alexa into the action? I must say though that the drunker you get the less Alexa understands us Scottish...

am i correct in saying that with the add on for the Pi, you have converted the pi into a hub for the plugs? Would this be a direct replacement for the hub or does it have limitations?

Yes it is a replacement for the Hub and does have some limitations. However if you know your way around a Pi script and IFTTT then you can easily do what you want with them.

I am going to get the hub at some point so I can add other devices they do (Bulbs, sockets, light switches etc) but will keep the Pi going for other projects and the sockets.

I've jusst watched a utube video of a guy that has got his echo dot controlling all sorts of devices using a Broadcom RM Pro, I suspect this is like a Harmony Hub but it's only £30. It does IR and RF sending and can control many things. You also need a £5 app that links the Alexa app withh the Broadcom app and the devices appear in the Alexa app as Philips hue bulbs.

Has anyone else tried this. It seems a lot cheaper than buying a harmony.

Back