Almost scammed on Ebay

BrianA

Inactive User
Reaction score
Lucky ole me nearly fell into a scam.
After checkin the guy out whose account was legit and placing a bid I received the following off Ebay

The following is a notice from eBay Trust & Safety regarding:
Item Number - 6442614800
Item Title - 32 x BRAND NEW NOKIA 8800
Our records show that you placed a bid on this item. We removed this item from
the Site and cancelled your bid because it appears that the seller's account has
been compromised and used by an unauthorized third party. The seller's
privileges to trade on eBay may be temporarily suspended while we investigate
this matter further. Due to privacy concerns we will not be able to share
further details related to this seller.
If someone claiming to be the seller asks you to complete a transaction outside
of eBay, we strongly recommend that you ignore the request. Transactions for
items listed on eBay that are completed outside of the eBay marketplace are not
covered by the Buyer Protection services offered by eBay and can be highly
indicative of fraud.

I didn't bid on all 32 just 2.
I'm just glad that the Ebay team were on thier toes and discovered it before I did.

You're lucky this time m8.......... just be careful next time :)

zooropa said:
You're lucky this time m8.......... just be careful next time :)
It was a genuine account but it seems to have been hacked,I checked the id history etc .
I don't see how I could have been more careful.
Not being funny or anything thanks for the support .
:Cheers:

Thats ok m8,no offence taken :) i stay well clear of ebay now,never been ripped off but read too many horror stories bout it

to be honest, it does seem a bit dodgy of some one selling 32 brand new 8800s

The Bard said:
what were they going for m8? was it too good to be true?... you know where I'm heading ;)
Glad you missed out. :)
Starting price £150,so being as the account holder was "Genuine" I thought I'd have a go.To be honest I was expecting the price to go higher.
Funny thing is I was telling people on Ebay about obvious Scammers, you know the ones that joined yesterday and have 12 feedbacks saying "great product,speedy delivery"etc and then those buyers are no longer with Ebay.....
I've seen low priced NEW products go throught the roof in a matter of minutes,and seen absolute bargains too .
The fact that this was a genuine "old timer" of an Ebayer didn't rouse my suspicions.
I'll be a LOT more suspicious from now on.
So yes The Bard, I do know where you're going and I'll be more than careful to go there in future.
I hope that my experience will be a real big warning to others.
Thank you all for reading.
Bri.
Bin the pub and now I'm Hissed.
:Cheers:

this happend to my bro someone hacked into his account and started selling bulk lots of phones etc .
then he started to get e-mails about a bmw someone had won and wanted to know how to make payment for it .
he could not get into the account to remove the items for sale which were about another 20 bulk lots of mobiles .he reported it to ebay as soon as he was aware of the problem and ebay closed down the account .
but then it went on foe months ebay were trying to charge him for the fees for all the listings the hacker had put up for auction which worked out to quite a lot of money ..
he got it sorted in the end but he had to go a long time before he could get his account back. he has about 150 poss reps so buyers were bidding with confidence lol.. he thinks they hacked his account because his password was related to his user name and they found it easy to work out the password ..

eBay is wide open to fraudsters. The amazing thing is that there are so many genuine and nice people and great bargains to be had on it.

Back