aholes that speed up when you overtake !!!

2primo

Inactive User
Reaction score
aholes that speed up when you overtake !
Today whist on my way to collect some goods i attempted to overtake some tool that was pissing around @ 35/40 on quite wide open road in a 50 zone this was after i had followed this twat for like 5 miles with no safe overtaking opportunity's So when we stopped @ the lights and the road opened up enough i edged past him and guess what when i looked i was doing 55 /60 and heading back in to traffic side by side so to avoid an accident i braked to pull back in behind him !!
doing this we clipped mirrors and he shit himself big time i saw his face clearly .....
This twat had obviously not wanted t be passed and felt the need to risk my life his and others

Now some smart ass will pipe up wid why did you have to overtake ? well the roads are like 10 miles long with few opportunities to overtake and this tool was pissing around well under the speed limit and i did not want to behind him god knows what he was doing !!
AND given the fact he was just doing 35mph for the last 5 miles i assumed he would be doing the same speed for the next 10 miles ...

But ohh No this fooker wtd to kill me for overtaking him .

So as i say we twated mirrors and he pulled over allowing me to get by i wasn't going to stop in the road as this would hold up traffic and prod lead to a pileup I headed for the next pull in and stopped i thought this tool would stop and bitch about his mirror , i wtd to jump on his face my other 1/2 said that feker speed up and pulled out on you So by this time i was more than sure he was being a tool

He drove right by me and didn't even look !!!

So i pulled out and continued down the road to see if he stopped NOPE !! GONE
i passed 2 or 3 coppers that where doing traffic control and sign of him and he had to go past them as this was the only route ,
What a twat i hope he got my reg and rang the police coz if i find where he lives im going to fuk him up !!
what a cooont

Took the words right out of my mouth. Especailly vans that can't go uphill faster than 65mph and as soon as it goes back down hill are suddenly speeding up at 90mph!! ARGHHHHHHH

Very annoying (and illegal), its true what they say, you dont need to look far to find an ars*hole lol

i never do it genuinely in fact if someone is riding my bumper and i see them edge out i will do all i can to let them go past !! tbh its a good job he did not stop as i was bouncing !!
i just hope it fecked up his mirror and he realized what a tool he was and thats why he did not stop
mind if he saw me properly he prob gave it a second though im not a little guy
if the police come a knocking i will ask to report him for leaving the scene of an accident
if the insurance write to me im saying i wast there fook em bloody tools
ya right theres always a ahole close there like rats lol

I dont agree with people acting like idiots on the road - I know someone who was killed recently because someone decided to overtake on the wrong side of the road, whilst sending a text message - and then hit this person head on. All because he couldnt bear being being a slow moving vehicle on his own side??

As much as I can sympathise with anyone stuck behind someone going slow - its equally annoying having someone on your tail making you feel like a terrible driver!!

The speed limit is what it is "the limit" its not the minimum speed - its the maximum - so if someone is doing 35-40 on a 50 stretch they are not breaking the law ??

Put it this way that 10 miles stretch you were on - at 50 miles/hour it would take you 12 mins - at 35/hour 17 mins. Thats 5 minutes - nothing at all?

I must agree that the person speeding up on you when you tried to overtake was taking the piss and caused danger but at the end of the day you were pissed off being behind him - you decided to overtake - you clipped his mirror because there wasnt enough space to complete the manouvre. You wanna hope he didnt get your reg number because even though he was being a prick by speeding up when you tried to overtake he was probably still under the speed limit and definately on the right side of the road!!

Highway code 162 - 169 Overtaking

Before overtaking you should make sure
  • the road is sufficiently clear ahead
  • road users are not beginning to overtake you
  • there is a suitable gap in front of the road user you plan to overtake

Overtake only when it is safe and legal to do so. You should
  • not get too close to the vehicle you intend to overtake
  • use your mirrors, signal when it is safe to do so, take a quick sideways glance if necessary into the blind spot area and then start to move out
  • not assume that you can simply follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking; there may only be enough room for one vehicle
  • move quickly past the vehicle you are overtaking, once you have started to overtake. Allow plenty of room. Move back to the left as soon as you can but do not cut in
  • take extra care at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance
  • give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road
  • only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right, and there is room to do so
  • stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left
  • give motorcyclists, cyclists and horse riders at least as much room as you would when overtaking a car (see Rules 211-215)
Remember: Mirrors – Signal – Manoeuvre

Large vehicles. Overtaking these is more difficult. You should
  • drop back. This will increase your ability to see ahead and should allow the driver of the large vehicle to see you in their mirrors. Getting too close to large vehicles, including agricultural vehicles such as a tractor with a trailer or other fixed equipment, will obscure your view of the road ahead and there may be another slow-moving vehicle in front
  • make sure that you have enough room to complete your overtaking manoeuvre before committing yourself. It takes longer to pass a large vehicle. If in doubt do not overtake
  • not assume you can follow a vehicle ahead which is overtaking a long vehicle. If a problem develops, they may abort overtaking and pull back in

You MUST NOT overtake
  • if you would have to cross or straddle double white lines with a solid line nearest to you (but see Rule 129)
  • if you would have to enter an area designed to divide traffic, if it is surrounded by a solid white line
  • the nearest vehicle to a pedestrian crossing, especially when it has stopped to let pedestrians cross
  • if you would have to enter a lane reserved for buses, trams or cycles during its hours of operation
  • after a ‘No Overtaking’ sign and until you pass a sign cancelling the restriction
[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36, TSRGD regs 10, 22, 23 & 24, ZPPPCRGD reg 24]

DO NOT overtake if there is any doubt, or where you cannot see far enough ahead to be sure it is safe. For example, when you are approaching
  • a corner or bend
  • a hump bridge
  • the brow of a hill

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example
  • approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road
  • where the road narrows
  • when approaching a school crossing patrol
  • between the kerb and a bus or tram when it is at a stop
  • where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works
  • when you would force another road user to swerve or slow down
  • at a level crossing
  • when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled
  • stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left
  • when a tram is standing at a kerbside tram stop and there is no clearly marked passing lane for other traffic

Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass. Never obstruct drivers who wish to pass. Speeding up or driving unpredictably while someone is overtaking you is dangerous. Drop back to maintain a two-second gap if someone overtakes and pulls into the gap in front of you.

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

As much as I can sympathise with anyone stuck behind someone going slow - its equally annoying having someone on your tail making you feel like a terrible driver!!

either you're too slow when theres room to allow people past or the person behind is an asshole

The speed limit is what it is "the limit" its not the minimum speed - its the maximum - so if someone is doing 35-40 on a 50 stretch they are not breaking the law ??

maybe not breaking the law but certainly causing a hazard - trust me my own mother has been pulled over for this one

Put it this way that 10 miles stretch you were on - at 50 miles/hour it would take you 12 mins - at 35/hour 17 mins. Thats 5 minutes - nothing at all?

we live in different worlds if a 12min journey taking 17 mins is nothing at all

I must agree that the person speeding up on you when you tried to overtake was taking the piss and caused danger but at the end of the day you were pissed off being behind him - you decided to overtake - you clipped his mirror because there wasnt enough space to complete the manouvre. You wanna hope he didnt get your reg number because even though he was being a prick by speeding up when you tried to overtake he was probably still under the speed limit and definately on the right side of the road!!

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Very wrong mate, someone speeding up whilst being overtaken is stupid beyond belief, op was in the right[/FONT]

if you clipped my mirror i would have stopped my car on its nose and jumpped out and kicked you and anyone elses head in that was with you, well i say that quick silver style, if you approached me and were nice about it i would maybe be cool too, hard to say, but if someone approached me aggressive i would meet them loggerheads, and believe me, theres always , and i mean always someone bigger, better and harder than you, always try and remember that when you sit in your little bubble of a car and think your safe, trust me, your not, been there, seen it, done it mate, Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

and, i think someone else said, if your behind the guy anyway, its your fault, not his, you shouldnt be tailgating that close, so dont try and blame someone else for your own actions, if you know your own car then you know you can overtake safely, if you dont trust your own car to be able to overtake then dont take the chance, its simple, on the other hand, if you know you have a blistering fast car, what are you doing hanging around the ass off a 30,40,50mph driver anyways for 10 miles ??? if it was me i would have been past him within seconds, either your car isnt capable of overtaking quickly or your inexperienced, or your just telling porkies here cause you made the ass of yourself and not the other driver, i might be wrong with all those things but i take a guess iam probably correct somewhere along the line.

And i go back to what i say, if your behind the guy in the first place, its your fault, not his, if an accident happens its your fault, you simply shouldnt even be anywhere close enough to the car in the first place to unsafely overtake him and also actually clip his car, it sound like aggressive driving from you and/or him in which case you should have went straight to the police with your evidence and likewise he should have too.

seen it all , done it all before like i says before mate.

Last edited by a moderator:
the only time i think that is ok is, if someone is RIGHT up your arse for a few miles

or

if your thoughts are elsewhere and you realise you driving LOL

Slasher, you obviously drive around constantly at warp factor 9 allowing yourself no time to weigh up safe and suitable times to overtake. In fact at that speed you can't spend too much time clocking up your 4000 miles/year. Maybe your not as experienced and capable as you might like to think.

Is it just me that finds it obvious that the Op had driven with reason and care, had waited for an opportunity to overtake but was faced with an inconsiderate (or maybe worse, a reckless) driver he was attempting to overtake. I agree entirely with this rant as it is something I see on the roads all the time (particularly noticeable when you use cruise control).

1. and 2. There is no law that says you must drive on the speed limit. You can be done for "failing to make progress" but that would apply on a motorway to someone doing 40 not to someone doing 35/40 on a 50 stretch!! And the definiition of causing a hazzard would be hanging on someones bumper and then trying to overtake them that closely that you hit their wing mirror!!

3. Obviously its not the same amount of time!! But in the great scheme of things 5 mins is not the end of the world!! Oh and a 10 mile stretch is not a "12 minute journey" its a 10 mile stretch that takes as long as it takes. I dont know about you but I would be quite happy for the journey to take 20 minutes rather than risk not seeing my kids again or the the same happening to someone who might be coming the opposite direction while I overtake!!

4. He was wrong to speed up - but if you consider that he probably had the op on his tail for a while - probably flashing his lights too - then over took that close that he clipped his mirror what would you do ? It cant be ok for the poor driver behind to get that frustrated that he desperately needs to get past but the law abiding driver in front must remain completely calm and not show any signs of aggression??

The whole things all boils down the the same thing really - a vehicle is a dangerous thing - a person should be able to drive at a comfortable speed without intimidation - an extra 10 minutes over 20 miles shouldnt affect anyone just leave 10 mins earlier!!

1. and 2. There is no law that says you must drive on the speed limit. You can be done for "failing to make progress" but that would apply on a motorway to someone doing 40 not to someone doing 35/40 on a 50 stretch!! And the definiition of causing a hazzard would be hanging on someones bumper and then trying to overtake them that closely that you hit their wing mirror!!

3. Obviously its not the same amount of time!! But in the great scheme of things 5 mins is not the end of the world!! Oh and a 10 mile stretch is not a "12 minute journey" its a 10 mile stretch that takes as long as it takes. I dont know about you but I would be quite happy for the journey to take 20 minutes rather than risk not seeing my kids again or the the same happening to someone who might be coming the opposite direction while I overtake!!

4. He was wrong to speed up - but if you consider that he probably had the op on his tail for a while - probably flashing his lights too - then over took that close that he clipped his mirror what would you do ? It cant be ok for the poor driver behind to get that frustrated that he desperately needs to get past but the law abiding driver in front must remain completely calm and not show any signs of aggression??

The whole things all boils down the the same thing really - a vehicle is a dangerous thing - a person should be able to drive at a comfortable speed without intimidation - an extra 10 minutes over 20 miles shouldnt affect anyone just leave 10 mins earlier!!

There's nothing in the OP to imply that he was tailgating/flasshing lights etc. In fact the post indicates caution and patience all the way. The only thing that appears to have caused incident is the other drivers impromptue increase in speed.

There's nothing in the OP to imply that he was tailgating/flasshing lights etc. In fact the post indicates caution and patience all the way. The only thing that appears to have caused incident is the other drivers impromptue increase in speed.

Fair comment - but there was obviously not enough room to overtake and thats what caused the incident??

Fair comment - but there was obviously not enough room to overtake and thats what caused the incident??

I'm guessing there might have been plenty of room if the other driver hadn't sped up. The result was the OP had to slow down and pull in behind, which by the way, a move I have done plenty of times on the motorway when I have been overtaking a car doing 60 and once they realise they are being overtaken they speed up to 80 and so rather than race I just pull in behind them (probably only to have the same thing happen again a couple of miles down the road). It is very frustrating.

In al honesty there are plenty of drivers who do drive far to slow - especially on the motorway!! There are also more who drive too fast and too agressively!!

Trouble is we all think we are perfect drivers - when actually its only me that is !!! LOL!!

if you clipped my mirror i would have stopped my car on its nose and jumpped out and kicked you and anyone elses head in that was with you,

Is that you Rambo? ;)

Yeah - Sound like it witchy.

There so much wrong in here is haliours.

For a start - non of you know he was talgating do you - You own exprecece mean nothing to how this man drives for a start. Even if he is a white van man (i kid )

IF the road was fine to do 50 along, It was safe, It was not raning condition allow, then the person in front doing 35 is a hazard. However - Your all forgetting this wasnt the guys grip the guy was pissed off because he started to overtake then the guy sped up because - lets face it - the overtake guy was a knob. None of you know the condition or how to drive and im few up with the male trosteron in here i.e i'll kick your head in, you a knob for overtaking anyways ect ect - there no need for it, The point of this topic is the guy was pissed off because he tryed to overtake and the knob sped up so he came and posted in the rant room - either say yes people like that are knob's or just be quite and dont say anything - because there no need to i'd smash your head in ect.

2primo:

I can symithpys i'v been in this posision too - people like this are the anti social bastereds lol. Hope theres no damage dude.

Yeah - Sound like it witchy.

There so much wrong in here is haliours.

For a start - non of you know he was talgating do you - You own exprecece mean nothing to how this man drives for a start. Even if he is a white van man (i kid )

IF the road was fine to do 50 along, It was safe, It was not raning condition allow, then the person in front doing 35 is a hazard. However - Your all forgetting this wasnt the guys grip the guy was pissed off because he started to overtake then the guy sped up because - lets face it - the overtake guy was a knob. None of you know the condition or how to drive and im few up with the male trosteron in here i.e i'll kick your head in, you a knob for overtaking anyways ect ect - there no need for it, The point of this topic is the guy was pissed off because he tryed to overtake and the knob sped up so he came and posted in the rant room - either say yes people like that are knob's or just be quite and dont say anything - because there no need to i'd smash your head in ect.

2primo:

I can symithpys i'v been in this posision too - people like this are the anti social bastereds lol. Hope theres no damage dude.

Yep and most of it is the spelling and grammar...I'm going to have to try and get hold of some of that male trosteron lol ;)

Back