advise wanted urgently

john!

DW Regular
Reaction score
hi all im a newbie here and need advise (usually at cable section)
here is my situation ive just cloned my modem with my brothers mac address following using newbie ntl tutorial ,all ive changed is mac address ive not done
NIC Mac /smac and my modem has connected to net at 10 mps ,
i havent changed anything else ie ip address or anything
am i finished and ok or have i left my self open for detection any help/advise appreiciated

thanks
john

ps im going to disconnect incase ive donee smthing wrong and reconnect later to see if any1 has replied
thanx again ,im para incase i get caught

Hi John i would advise just changing the last two digits with smac to be safe did you do the non firware update?

everything else my friend seems to be funky and good

the non firmware download if you haven't

cd non-vol\snmp (note it's a forward slash)
max_dload_tries (space) 0
write
cd (space) \ (Forward slash)
reset

Changing the last 2 digits for example using smac if mine address is 00:00:00:00:00:C1 when changing the last 2 it becomes
00:00:00:00:00:D2 then click update mac and i always press refresh out of habbit.

hope this helps my friend need help shout

Merry Chrimbo

also m8, do the no update command on both image 1 and image 2

though \ was a backslash?

havent done no update commands

havent got smac can any1 help out with it Aand if id non firmware download will that b it and will it not knock my brother of when i connect
thanx guys

if you don't do the 'no update command' the chances are you will be hit with the new firmware update, making it harder to change the mac address (removing a surface mount chip from the board and flashing it with the old firmware then replacing it)

smac is in the downloads section m8,

you will only knock you brother off if you both have the same mac and are in the same node

Last edited:
thanx guys its really appreciated quick and prompt let u know how i get on

SORRY GUYS BUT WHEN CHANCHING MAC 00.00.00.00.00..80
WOULD 80BECOME 91 sorry for my stupidity just dont want to f.... up now

If i get it right.
Your only changing the ethernet card mac address. Not the modem mac.
Why dont you scan at your bro's house and use a different mac altogether.
And if your really worried about using your ethernet.
Just use the usb.
It sorts itself out.

yeah thats fine, you are only changing the mac of your NIC not the modem with SMAC, reboot after you changed it then reopen SMAC and your new NIC MAC should be active. I moved into a house where the previous tennants had a connection and it had been disconnected so I didn't need to worry about changing my mac, though I did anyway.

Last edited:
thanx for all the help guys so after refreshing smac my spoofed add. is thesame as my active add, but none my true mac

mac

name750 said:
What did he just say???

Oh! stick the usb in??

sorrymeant to say in smac is my spoofed MAC. is thesame as my active MAC, but none my true mac
and by the way i am using my usb
im jus making sure ,double checking everything is done properly,hope use dont mind

Sorry i was just messing.
I was the same when i fist came on here.
i couldn't give a sh*t now.
All they is dont use the same ethernet on a clone and a subbed modem.
If you want to use it . Then change it before you do.
It doesnt matter what. Just make up some random numbers.
I was gonna spell out up:yo:ur:sn:tl:ha and it would still probably work.
I decided against it as i want to be left alone.

ok thanx guys youve been a big help ,and its much appreciated anytime i can help any of u with anything please ask

Not to sure wat u mean there but if you just change the last 2 digits like 80 till 58 or anything that will do the job.

Back