Sensible Topic Advise Please -BST PLUMBERS...Pump tripping RCD....??

bilabonic

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi All

The Ferroli boiler in one of my rental flat's is playing up again, i had it going by replacing the PCB and has run fine for a few weeks BUT the RCD is tripping again as soon as boiler is powered up.

When i disconnect the CH pump it is fine, no trips BUT obviously no CH, so i presume 99% the pump is faulty (i will Megger the existing when i get chance).

It is flange mounted with 4 allen bolts so looks simple to replace BUT i wanted to know the following -

Where can i source a replacement cheaply ?

How do i drain the boiler etc in order to replce it etc..?

Boiler is a Ferroli Domicompact F24B - http://www.ferroli.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/brochures/archives/DOMIcompact F24 B Manual.pdf

Pic below is of the pump -

Cheers

Attachments

• CH Pump F24B.JPG
    CH Pump F24B.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 16
Not sure mate, i purchased pair flat's and they both had th 9 yearse same boiler, i had to replace fan on one...over 12 years..

I've had a Wilo pump of Ebay for £25 with pressure releif valve and pressure level sensor combined, hopefully i can just replace the 'head'.

Never replaced one before on a Combi, concerned about water ?

Pumps almost certainly fucked if it's getting a stable 240 off the board?
Have a look at the connector block mate. Think it's just a 3 pin connector on them. Live, neutral, earth, that's the bit will give you any headache. You can just replace the head. Isolate the flow/return valves underneath and drain it off. I always cling film or polythene wrap the board housing before cracking the allens slowly (have a towel ready, I use a water hoover too). Piece of piss if your electrical connections are ok.

I did not have my meter's handy, but i can check later, yes you are correct it's a 3 pin plug. I will probably remove the PCB and just replce he head hopefully, i also have a wet/dry Wickes hoover so will take that.

Cheers

I was just considering either just the boiler to drain or use the opportunity to flush it all out so drain the lot if it's not been done for ages.

swap the pump - easy one .,

I'm not draining it
I was just considering either just the boiler to drain or use the opportunity to flush it all out so drain the lot if it's not been done for ages.

swap the pump - easy one .,

I'm not draining it, it's an upsatirs flat (i own the downstairs as well)...I may stick some El Cheapo Screwfix 'leak sealer' in as it's losing pressure somewhere, probably the bloody heat exchanger !!

Put a filter in the return while your'e at it pal. Screwfix had an offer on the flomasta jobs, was on at £50 and they're alright to be honest. Get some inhibitor in it an all. If you need I'll pm you my potscode 10% discount, as i remember you're a spark though so guess your set there.

Should be able use a standard grundfoss head and swap out the harness to plug back in your board. I'm sure they go straight in that boiler.

I've got a Magnaclean in garage somewhere, got a Wilo pump and assembly coming, see how i feel on the day...It's only a small system...Cheers.

I'm not draining it

I'm not draining it,

I take it your not draining it lol-

if it has gone on the heat exchanger, cleaning it might make it worse, [soon see drip stains if it's a traditional chamber]

not the pressure relief going off early &/or the systems at it's expansion limit or the expansion vessel's gone?

What a nightmare, the pump head did not fit, so i went to replace body as well.......

The pressure switch pipe snapped, it had SOLID boss white holding it in !!!

After i had it all in place i went to put expansion vessel back on i noticed the there was NO HOLE in the body for it !! It was blanked off !! I could still attach it, secure it with clip BUT it went no where !!!

Found out it was of a F28B.

Wish i had the whole bloody boiler replaced now with a BAXI...Rrrrrrr

What a nightmare, the pump head did not fit, so i went to replace body as well.

After i had it all in place i went to put expansion vessel back on i noticed the there was NO HOLE in the body for it !! It was blanked off !! I could still attach it, secure it with clip BUT it went no where

Do you mean the expansion vessel isn't connected into the system ?

You can fit one anywhere near the boiler and can buy an extra expansion vessel and fit to the ch for extra rads over the boilers normal capacity

It needs to be functioning or you'll keep blowing the prv

Do you mean the expansion vessel isn't connected into the system ?

You can fit one anywhere near the boiler and can buy an extra expansion vessel and fit to the ch for extra rads over the boilers normal capacity

It needs to be functioning or you'll keep blowing the prv

There was no 'hole' in the plastic pump body to accept the EV ? It was blocked off ?? I was contemplated drilling it out but could not be certain it would go into the CH pump chamber ??

Attachments

• pump mine 1.JPG
    pump mine 1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
  • pump mine 2.JPG
    pump mine 2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
  • pump wrong supplied.JPG
    pump wrong supplied.JPG
    986.9 KB · Views: 6
OK.. I see.. You can put the expansion vessel elsewhere .. even outside the boiler if you can't find a new spot on the main flow or return within the boiler .. it'll still do its job but it should be kept as close as you can if you do on the flow or return & have a Google read up..

I wouldn't fancy drilling that.. but maybe you could do that. . Depends on the design and your skills

Back