Advice Required - new build

BelgyFaeEK

Inactive User
Reaction score
OK my pc died a death a couple of weeks ago, so time to build a new one, to be honest I have not built one before but am going to give it a go, seems straightforward enough.

Specs really will be a machine capable of handling heavy graphics games, pref no onboard graphics on the motherboard, probs running a linux distro, and general internet browsing, also be burning dvd's and music - nothing illegal of course just making back-ups of my originals ;)

Can someone suggest a system that would be good for me, it will be running win xp pro.

probs running a linux distro

it will be running win xp pro

Do you mean you will be dual booting? And why XP Pro? Why not Vista?

Apart from that, depending on how much money you want to spend on it, you could wait until the good nvidia 9000 series graphics cards come out. If you don't wanna wait, then I don't know the best cards around at the moment, probably one of the 8800 series.

You'll obviously need two dvd rewriters. You'll need at least 2GB of RAM, though could go for 4, would be better for your games. Processor, I haven't been keeping up these days, but i've heard intel are still the best.

I'm sure someone else on here will give you much better advice, im more of a software guy lol.

you may find it cheaper to simply buy a machine that matches your desired spec instead of building one. Much better value for money in the long run and will give you a garauntee.

you may find it cheaper to simply buy a machine that matches your desired spec instead of building one. Much better value for money in the long run and will give you a garauntee.

Unless you have a real need for doing this yourself. I was thinking the same thing. Most mail order companies will build to you spec and at least you will be sure everything works.

Check youtube, there are loads of PC build guides with videos. Check places like tomshardware.com for latest reviews of hardware.

If you want to run WinXP (I assume for the games) and dabble in Linux then can I suggest getting hold of VMWare Workstation as it will allow to run both at the same time.

I second VMware, its much better than trying to dual boot, it means you are in no danger of losing your hdd.

You can use the free vmware player and any of the Linux appliances available on the vmware site if you dont want to go through the hassle of installing linux.

Or you can get the VMware server, this is also free and allows you to do even more.

I second VMware, its much better than trying to dual boot, it means you are in no danger of losing your hdd.

You can use the free vmware player and any of the Linux appliances available on the vmware site if you dont want to go through the hassle of installing linux.

Or you can get the VMware server, this is also free and allows you to do even more.

VMWare server is free but I would not recommend it for home use as it does not support USB which workstation v6 does very nicely.

sorry for not getting back folks, have to use pc down at my parents the now, have all other things like monitor etc.

Dont want to use vista cos i hate the feel of it

As for buying a pre-built machine definate no no, never had a prebuilt one that was actually long lasting.

I want to build my own to learn a bit more and also just for the heck of it lol

sorry for not getting back folks, have to use pc down at my parents the now, have all other things like monitor etc.

Dont want to use vista cos i hate the feel of it

As for buying a pre-built machine definate no no, never had a prebuilt one that was actually long lasting.

I want to build my own to learn a bit more and also just for the heck of it lol

Don't know where you are getting your pre-builds from so I don't why you are getting so many failures. Even HP and Dell machines should give 3 to 4 years of service without hassle. The only thing about pre-build is usually the software load is shit so they need re-installation.

What do you want to use the PC for and what is your budget. Is there anything specific that it must be able to do ?

Specifically nothing really like I said will be running linux distro like vmware or something, also be burning a few dvds, and a good graphics card. Perhaps with prebuilds its been the software bundles that have been a hassle.

Budget i suppose between 300-400 and to be honest i can fiugre out graphics cards etc, its the motherboard and what a decent one is and also if i should get dual core or not etc.

Anyone give me a spec and it ill give me an idea then i can tweak it if not suitable. :)

I would deffo go forcaf least a dual core and minimum 2gb of ram, if your not intending of using vista then dont go for more than 3gb ram unless your using a 64bit os as it can't handle any more. I would go with a budget graphics card as a premium latest one will set you back quite a few hundred. I would certainly put the best of your money on the mobo and CPU, go for a cheaper Q9 series intel dual or maybe even a quad if you got the dough. Try and keep everything sata as its being dropped these days. A note on buying your ram if you are going to get 2 or 4 gb then buy them in matched pairs, 2x1 gb and 2x2gb respectively as then you can run it in dual chNnel mode

Gaming? Go for intel.
Video? Go for intel.
Anything, else go for what ever is cheapest that week.

Guide for current core 2 intel processors:
E**00 = 65nm Dual core (NB E1*00 are Celerons)
E**50 = 45nm Dual core
Q**00 = 65nm Quad core
Q**50 = 45nm Quad core
QX**00 = 65nm Quad Extreme
QX**50 = 45nm Quad Extreme
QX**70 = 45nm Quad Extreme
X**** = Xeon

All good advise from loady. If you are not playing games and want to run VMWare then I would focus on CPU and memory. Assuming reusing monitor, kbd, mouse, speakers then maybe something like,

- Q9300 (£125), very easy to overclock.
- G33 based mobo with integrated GFX e.g. Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2H (£80)
- 2 x 1GB DDR2 RAM (£20) or even consider going to 4GB.
- 500GB Samsung SATA HDD (£50)
- LG SATA DVD/RW (£20)

That should leave budget for
- a decent case (£25)
- a quality quiet PSU (£30)
- a ninja CPU cooler (£30), great for serious overclocking.

Add delivery - £20

Total around £400 though with specials you should be able to get that down.

A discreet GFX card cab easily be added later if you want more graphics power.

Back