Advice on choosing a box please...

ukbob

VIP Old Codger
VIP Member
Reaction score
(Hope this doesn't come across as the dreaded "which is the best box" question).

Having recently got hooked on the sat scene and decided a Technomate is the way forward for me,the next step is which box is right for me,theres so many to choose from and it would be easy to make the wrong choice.
Which Technomate box is the easiest to patch,(Hd preferred but not essential, not bothered about pvr either way).

Am i right in thinking usb is the easiest way to patch?

I don't mind getting one that is harder to do later on...as i learn more.
Saw a few on fleabay with dishes supplied with box,are these bog standard dishes or would there be any benefits to buying a bigger dish seperately?

Can someone give me a nudge in the right direction please...

hello m8, i have recently just bought a package with which i got a Technomate 5400.

It is an excellent receiver and easy as hell to patch, but i wish i had gone str8 for the Technomate 6900 HD one coz i didnt realise how easy they where to set up.

Goin to cost me £ 270 now to upgrade ! so i would go for this one.

Thanks carlos, is the 6900 as easy to patch as the one you have now?
Sorry to hear about you having to spend more money,but thats what i'm trying to avoid if possible.

it really depends what you are after m8

do you just want to watch sat live

if so go for technomate 1500 or the newer model which i think is the 5400 - also the cheapest option

do you want pvr if so then the box mentioned above is pretty good

do you want hdtv then you need to spend a little more

do you want to get into c/s then you need a linux reciever

it really depends what you are after m8

do you just want to watch sat live

if so go for technomate 1500 or the newer model which i think is the 5400 - also the cheapest option

do you want pvr if so then the box mentioned above is pretty good

do you want hdtv then you need to spend a little more

do you want to get into c/s then you need a linux reciever

Pvr is not an issue,i've never recorded a program yet..

Just been looking at this one but it doesn't look like a motorised dish to me... i could be wrong?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Technomat...ryZ96970QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I looked at this too, no mention of a positioner.

If you search about the ebay shops for the best deals the dish options are:
Fixed, simple an cheap but limits your channel options (probably Hotbird or Astra although you can move it manually if needed)
Multi LNB, (monoblock) normally Hotbird and 19.2 Astra, lots of choice
Motorised, full choice but more expense and way up if you need the other sats (depending on dish size)

Thanks for that,it all helps..
I have freesat hd at the moment,and am wondering if i could just slip a monoblock lnb on my sky dish and get more channels...for now...?

As for the future,it has to be a motorised dish,or i'll only regret it later...

Back