Sensible Topic ADVICE - Ditching my Virgin Media contract and switching to another name/new customer?

I cancelled my talk talk today..took out virgin broadband 200meg for £30 a month for 12 months ..plus £35 activation fee...I went through topcashback...to get back £130 ..so if the cashback tracks this makes it effectively £22 odd quid for 12 months..seems good.
How long does it take for cashback to track on topcashback?

I cancelled my talk talk today..took out virgin broadband 200meg for £30 a month for 12 months ..plus £35 activation fee...I went through topcashback...to get back £130 ..so if the cashback tracks this makes it effectively £22 odd quid for 12 months..seems good.

You've done well there I got 200mb with phone line at £36.00 but its gone up recently to £39.50 per month.

Bit of heads up about “top cashback”.

You dont always get cashback with them.
Couple of members on here never seen it, and i know a family member never did.

Oh dear , hope it does track , £30 for 200 meg is standard deal, Its on u switch..i really done it for the cashback..personally £30:,for the broadband is too much.. they have 100 meg for £25 too. If it dont track I'm gonna cancel as I have 14 days cooling period..read somewhere it could take up to 7 days for cashback to track.

is this for real ? im on 200meg with virgin, had it installed yesterday getting the following on my laptop , yesterday in the afternoon, i ran a speedtest on my smart phone at 2pm in the afternoon i was getting downlaod of 210Mbps and upload of 20.2 Mbps...is this a sign of things to come for a heavily over utilised area ?..see pic

Attachments

• 20191122_185434.jpg
    20191122_185434.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 28
im 100 mega and have speed of 110 so yep its real.

Oh dear , hope it does track , £30 for 200 meg is standard deal, Its on u switch..i really done it for the cashback..personally £30:,for the broadband is too much.. they have 100 meg for £25 too. If it dont track I'm gonna cancel as I have 14 days cooling period..read somewhere it could take up to 7 days for cashback to track.
sometimes it takes months.

@gez... thats fine..what you getting at this moment..the screen shot i posted is as of now..im on 200meg, that is patheteic what im getting..somethings not right ?

sometimes it takes months.
yes but it shud be showing in my account on topcashback ? i can wait..however i have 14 days cooling off period with virgin...if it doesnt show as tracked in my topcashback account, then after 14 days im stuck as i cant cancel..cashback is the reason i went for this deal..its even on the topcashback website now as a black friday deal..

is this for real ? im on 200meg with virgin, had it installed yesterday getting the following on my laptop , yesterday in the afternoon, i ran a speedtest on my smart phone at 2pm in the afternoon i was getting downlaod of 210Mbps and upload of 20.2 Mbps...is this a sign of things to come for a heavily over utilised area ?..see pic

I'd be on the phone to them if I was getting such bad speeds, 1% of what you paying for isn't right.

Have you checked on Speed test.

Last edited:
@gez... thats fine..what you getting at this moment..the screen shot i posted is as of now..im on 200meg, that is patheteic what im getting..somethings not right ?
[/QUOTE aout 80 at the moment. phone and get a signal boost
]

Test again with both laptop and phone at similar time.

I done test again..I'm getting same results, phone speed test went up to 25Mbps..laptop 23Mbps...time to ring virgin...can I still cancel even though my service was activated 2 days ago?

I done test again..I'm getting same results, phone speed test went up to 25Mbps..laptop 23Mbps...time to ring virgin...can I still cancel even though my service was activated 2 days ago?

Must say @johnny bravo , I've not had any problems with VM speed but I feel your pain.

Are you wired straight into the modem?

Is there a router?

Have you tried another PC?

Just trying to see if the bandwidth problem is VM. I had a few speed upgrades ages ago and wasn't using it as my ancient router wasn't capable of the WAN throughput. No issues with VM really, they even provide an excess over your quoted speed so during peak times your internet should be full speed.

Just things to consider :).

Mine this morning,

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191123-095529_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20191123-095529_Speedtest.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 17
Are you by anychance using an older laptop or phone? maybe the radio's in the wifi on older units and not up to showing the correct speed. I've seen this on a phone thats just a couple of years old to a new phone. Missis sat on sofa saying she's getting over 200mb on her phone and i was getting something like 60mb.

Bit of heads up about “top cashback”.

You dont always get cashback with them.
Couple of members on here never seen it, and i know a family member never did.
Yep.
Never got my cash back from when i took out a 3 year sub with Nordvpn...despite contacting them several times.
Complete waste of time.

Everything wireless, dont have anything hard wired ,I have s8 plus phone, macbook, and a new Toshiba laptop, kids have their phones , gonna try hard reset on superhub 3...will also connect my laptop via ethernet cable and try tests again..I'm using superhub 3 as it came..

I would contact them again and threaten to sack the deal off unless they sort the speed, it could be a duff hub3, I'm sure @Spectre had a lot of trouble with the hub3 but eventually got it sorted.

Back