ADVICE - can not get no signal on Zgemma H5.2TC ?

Im connected down my mothers house, scan took 5 secs, 393 video, 37 radio.

all channels blank even FTA ???

92% SNR, 37dB, they have a 6dB attemuator on the router.

ALL working when i changed from Bute Force to PURE, and rescanned....Now just got to figure how to get mine working !!!!

Update - Also just swapped my splitter i found hanging around and it works fine here, but i've kept my mothers Virgin one...lol (Even though it has been proven that it was not working with a direct line anyway)

ALSO when checking on SIGNAL FINDER as standard it is preset to - 'Predifined Transponder', it shows no signal, you have to toggle to 'User Defined Transponder' to get it to show signal level...

Last edited:
ALSO when checking on SIGNAL FINDER as standard it is preset to - 'Predifined Transponder', it shows no signal, you have to toggle to 'User Defined Transponder' to get it to show signal level...

When you access signal finder, on some images, it starts off on the TP/frequency you are on. If it is not listed exactly, it selects the first one on the provider you set in tuner configuration.
You can do as you did where you enter the details manually or just select another frequency.

My tuners are predfined for my area though ? Its not an issue, i won't have time until later to play with my my supply..

The only other difference between mine and my mothers is that she has the basic package on VM (it was a Samsung VM box) using the F plug port....lol

Signal levels are adapted based on what the user has subscribed to and what the cabinet serves.

If there are lots of devices subscribed to the cabinet with splitters galore, they increase power levels.
Upside: People far from cabinet get better signal. But could need forward path attenuators
Downside: People near cabinet have too much signal and need attenuators.

It is a process of elimination of the varying factors/components in the setup.

I shall post the a general guide of order in which to do things and you can decide what you want to do/want to reject.

Connect signal wire to correct port. Some Cable/Hybrid tuners have F-plug connectors, others have Belling Lee connectors. You may/may not need to use an adapter.
It has been known for people to connect the DVB-C signal wire to LNB input terminal of receiver. It has also been known for people to connect to the RF out connection.

Most twin tuner moudules have a single connection, the signal is split internally. Some people get confused by this and start wondering as it is a twin tuner, where does the second signal wire go? Don't worry about it. Just connect to the "RF input".

If using PLI, it does not have a cables.xml. Source one and transfer it to /etc/tuxbox and then reboot receiver.
If there is no cables.xml, you won't get a provider option.

In Tuner configuration, set to the following
Tuner Type = DVB-C
Configuration mode = enabled
Network ID = leave it as 00000. In the UK you can use any value, makes no difference. If you want to put in your net ID, go ahead.
Used service scan type = provider.
Country (If on your image) = Quicker to scroll left for the UK
Region. There are four UK Virgin options. Pure, ex-CW, Telewest and Bruteforce. If you know which system you are in, select it. If you don't know, select Brute force.

Do this forall tuners.

Scanning/plugins

Before we go any further, please be aware there are essentially only 5 free channels. Just because it is free on satellite, it does not mean it is free on cable.
BBC1, BBC2, ITV1, Channel 4 and Channel 5.

Please be aware that unless you are in a pure area, you will get channels that do not work in your area.

You can scan using the scanner in enigma2 and then make your bouquets or you can use plugins.

Enigma2 scanning
Menu > Setup > Service Searching (Tuner Config) > Manual Scan
Select the correct tuner
Type of scan: Change to Complete
Press OK/Green to scan

There are three plugins available that will work on cable:
AutoBouquetsMaker (ABM)
AutoBouquets Cable. (AB C2)
CableScan (Pointless using this but PLI love it, handy if you don't have an xml)

To avoid confusion please don't just say AutoBouquets as the plugins work differently.

ABM:
ABM does several providers and it does not need a scan first. So this may be your better option.
Install ABM if it is not already included. It is available on the plugin feeds under system plugins or available on forums

Menu > Setup > Service Searching (Tuner Config) > AutoBouquestMaker
Go to provider, Enable Virgin UK. Select your Net ID. Only headends are listed, number is the important thing. If you don't know it, pick one nearest to you.
Press OK to save
Highlight scan and press OK/press Green to scan.

If you have used he correct Net ID and adequate signal, the free channels in the Entertainment bouquet will work. There are no free HD channels on Virgin!

AutoBouquets Cable
When using this plugin, you must be on a cable channel.
Highlight your area and then scan. Pure areas have been bundled in one list.

Problems fault finding
If there is a problem, you will have to rule out the possibilities. Change one thing at a time.

Below is a list of possibilities:
No signal to property. (If you don't have any VM services, VM will disconnect the supply to your house)
Faulty isolator
Faulty splitter. Just because one port works, does not mean others are fine.
Faulty signal wire
Faulty F-plug to belling lee adapter
Faulty tuner
Faulty receiver

Too much signal (use an attenuator to compensate)
Too little signal (use a variable powered splitter to overcome issue. You may need a forward path attenuator too.)

It is important to note that different tuners have different sensitivities. Just because one worked, it does not mean all will.
The signal level readings on the receivers mean very little. Different brands/models will report back different values.

Don't forget to factor in "user error". It is only natural to think we are doing the correct thing. When posting, be descriptive as possible. You can see what you have, but others are not there. When people offer advice/ask questions, it is in your interest to answer the question. If you do something different say so rather than pretend you are following advice given but doing something different. Remember, they are trying to help you. Sometimes, people ask for photos because we all make mistakes. A second pair of eyes helps rule out mistakes.

Can i not get a signal level tester, like Sky ?

I know i have a good feed as router worked, i know the splitter is fine as i now have my parents...

I have had NTL on the supply in the past with the old NTL box's with no splitters.

I know the tuners are split inside....

I bet if i plugged my parents Samsung VM box in it would work.

Tuners are different. Some will deal with extra signal, some will fall over. Some will pick up lower signals others will not. As an example, a Vu single tuner will work, but a twin tuner will need an attenuator. Defies logic as one is a twin tuner and you'd think that they would need more signal.

With all due respect, what you used to do and what you need to do are different things.

We have established your receiver is fine as it works at another place. I'd encourage you to try the the attenuators, you rejected this suggestion.

Tuners are different. Some will deal with extra signal, some will fall over. Some will pick up lower signals others will not. As an example, a Vu single tuner will work, but a twin tuner will need an attenuator. Defies logic as one is a twin tuner and you'd think that they would need more signal.

With all due respect, what you used to do and what you need to do are different things.

We have established your receiver is fine as it works at another place. I'd encourage you to try the the attenuators, you rejected this suggestion.

No i am planning on trying attenuators BUT they have always been fitted to my router side, do you suggest i fit them to the box side then,i have about 15 of them, not looked at the level, it's simple enough to screw them inline and test...

I appreciate your help and replies, sorry if i came aross the wrong way mate....

If your mother is on same NetID as you, there is no need to do any more scans. Just test the variables until you get a picture.

If your mother is on same NetID as you, there is no need to do any more scans. Just test the variables until you get a picture.

Exactly, just a matter of messing with signal strength now...

It's working !!!!! Tried 3,6,10,12 dB on the input to box and still nothing...

Tried same on Router and it worked on 12dB attenuator !!!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS !!!

Just got set up EPG/HDD etc and why i purchased a twin tuner for now...lol

:)

p.s. What the hell has happened to the site, it someone else hosing it now ?

It's working !!!!! Tried 3,6,10,12 dB on the input to box and still nothing...

Tried same on Router and it worked on 12dB attenuator !!!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS !!!

Just got set up EPG/HDD etc and why i purchased a twin tuner for now...lol

:)

p.s. What the hell has happened to the site, it someone else hosing it now ?

We have crossed over from vbull to xenforo as vbull was getting a bit long in the tooth.

Good to here you sorted the signal issue mate nice one.

The "Brute force" entry has been renamed to "All Systems". Any OE-A images built after today won't have the brute force entry. People will have to select, "ex-cw", "pure", "telewest" or "all systems".

HI Guys,

I know this is an OLD thread but maybe people searching for a solution will read it and solve their issues with Signal on ZGemma Receivers.!

I Kept sending mine back to Seller who constantly told me on his Setup and Tests it worked, SO i was totally frustrated.
I DO NOT give up easily so I got another the Fifth Box and after trying out this method below the Tuners kicked IN and are now working 100%.!!!!!

I had many problems regarding this issue with the Signal on a LOT of ZGemma receivers.
Mine was the Zgemma H7S with Triple Tuners, 2x DVB-S2X and 1x C-T2
I SOLVED my issue by UNSCREWING and taking OFF the Cable with f-connector from Rear and then putting it back ON but NOT
tightening too much, LEAVE it pretty loose.!!!!

DON'T tighten it so MUCH that it reaches MAX.!!!!!!!
This brought my signal back straight away.!!!!
It was driving me NUTS because ALL other Receivers I tried on the same Cable worked great NO problems whatsoever.
Hope this Helps.

AJP

HI Guys,

I know this is an OLD thread but maybe people searching for a solution will read it and solve their issues with Signal on ZGemma Receivers.!

I Kept sending mine back to Seller who constantly told me on his Setup and Tests it worked, SO i was totally frustrated.
I DO NOT give up easily so I got another the Fifth Box and after trying out this method below the Tuners kicked IN and are now working 100%.!!!!!

I had many problems regarding this issue with the Signal on a LOT of ZGemma receivers.
Mine was the Zgemma H7S with Triple Tuners, 2x DVB-S2X and 1x C-T2
I SOLVED my issue by UNSCREWING and taking OFF the Cable with f-connector from Rear and then putting it back ON but NOT
tightening too much, LEAVE it pretty loose.!!!!

DON'T tighten it so MUCH that it reaches MAX.!!!!!!!
This brought my signal back straight away.!!!!
It was driving me NUTS because ALL other Receivers I tried on the same Cable worked great NO problems whatsoever.
Hope this Helps.

AJP

Kind of tell me the central core of the coax was too long, hence why leaving the fconnector loose solved it..

Back