Routers ADSL or Broadband?

dantis

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a friend who has an ADSL router, I want to add a second router flashed with DD-WRT utilising a VPN using OpenVPN and wired WAN to LAN to keep the networks separate.

My only experience is with broadband routers, so my question is does the second router also need to be an ADSL router or can I use a broadband router? I currently use TP-Link WR842ND routers which are easy to flash and set-up with OpenVPN. I have very limited experience with networking so please be gentle!

If I can use a TP-Link as above, no problem, but if I need an ADSL router, can you recommend a reasonably priced one which will flash with DD-WRT and use OpenVPN. The WR842ND is only around £30 maximum but does the job well.

The reason for this is that I live in Spain and we need a UK IP address to access catch-up TV etc.

Thanks in advance.

It doesn't matter so just go with what you know. However, it's not clear (to me at least) why you wouldn't simply VPN through/using the existing router?

It doesn't matter so just go with what you know. However, it's not clear (to me at least) why you wouldn't simply VPN through/using the existing router?

Thank you for your reply, the existing routers are owned by the ISP here and are generally locked, by adding an additional router I can use DD WRT to utilise OpenVPN, plus you have the benefit of two networks, one with a Spanish IP address and one with a UK IP address.

Also, the VPN company I use provides detailed set-up of DD WRT flashed routers only.

So, just to confirm, I can add a broadband router to an ADSL router going from one of the LAN's on the ADSL to the WAN of the broadband router?

Last edited:
There's always a proviso lol. The WAN port on the second router must be Ethernet and the first router must be running RIP (or similar) or packets won't find their way back to the source (second router). You'll have to experiment a bit since the ISP router is locked down.

It might be easier to install the OpenVPN client on required PCs and tunnel into a UK-based proxy service.

It might be easier to install the OpenVPN client on required PCs and tunnel into a UK-based proxy service.

The problem is that we need to connect Sky+HD boxes directly in to the router so that the OnDemand service works as though we were in the UK.

It works great with broadband routers, no problem, I just haven't tried it with an ADSL one.

Got it. Let me know how it goes. Any issues flag up here and I'll try to help.

Got it. Let me know how it goes. Any issues flag up here and I'll try to help.

Great thanks for your help, I think that I will configure a router (I use TP-Link WR842ND) in exactly the same way and try it with the ADSL router and see what happens.

I will let you know either way.

Okay, so I have done it. After a few issues, ip conflicts etc, it works okay, lan on the adsl router connected to the wan of the broadband router.

Thanks for your help.

Back