Adsl modem/Wireless router.

IANB

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Adsl modem/Wireless router.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who knows there stuff on networking.
I have bought a lappy for the laddy and a wireless router but its a belkin adsl modem/router
it has four wired connections lan rj45
a usb connection and an adsl connection.
Trouble is i have cable broadband and a motorla sb4100 cable modem.
In short can i connect the cable modem to the router,s rj45 wired port and expect it to connect to the lappy's wireless connection. Or have i bought the wrong stuff.
Any help would be apprieciated.

You didn't need an ADSL modem/router. Just a wireless router to connect to ypor cable modem.

I purchased a
Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router & Laptop Card Bundle
Bundle comprises:
- Belkin Wireless Pre-N Router F5D8230
- Belkin Wireless Pre-N Laptop Network Card F5D8010
http://www.transparentcommunications.com/acatalog/PreN.html
from them on Wednesday for my in father inlaw, got it delivered today, they are also on cable broadband, took about 15 minutes to set up for wireless.

chances are the built-in ADSL modem won't allow you to use the router on its own with a cable modem.
lioke narabdela said, all you need is a wireless router with an ethernet port(usually called WAN port).
I would bother hookin it up with USB cos it put an additional strain on your processing power.
best to stick with ethernet cable + you won't need any drivers for it!

go swap it mate.
when you hook up your wireless router to your cable modem, all you have to do it clone the mac address in the router configuration.
make sure you secure your network as well.

Back