Admin Password - Recovery Console

fatspanner

Inactive User
Reaction score
Brought a refurbished laptop and all was going o.k until one day last week it developed an error on boot up. No longer loads windows becasue of a missing/corrupt file.

I have the instructions on how to cure the problem, however it means using recovery console via the XP CD. When i try to log onto it, it asks for the the administrator password. As it came with XP preinstalled, i have no idea on what the password is. It is a packard hell! notebook. Does anyone know if theres a default value they use?

Sorry can't help you with your question but have to tried booting up in safe mode and doing a system restore to a point when you know it was working ok?

Hi think you need to speak to reddevil I think he had the same prob but not sure In any case he is good at solving probs like this he is home later about 7.30ish

Kate

Go into the download section, theres a rar file that resets the admin password. when you download it , extract and burn to cd using Clone cd. boot lappy from that CD and follow instructions

http://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/forums/index.php?resources/869/

sorry Baaheeduk, just read your post, re same file in downloads

Last edited by a moderator:
Been at this for a while now and thought i was doing something wrong.

Boot the laptop up and get the message

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

So into recovery console to copy the folder from the setup cd.

typed in:
cd system32\config

then at the prompt (c:\WINDOWS\system32\config>) typed:

copy c:\windows\repair\system

and i get the error:

The system cannot find the file specified.
Any ideas?

Back