Adding a free shopping cart to my site?

digicol

Inactive User
Reaction score
North East England, but nowhere near Dutcho!!! Ba
Is it possible to add a shopping cart to my HTML website?

And hopefully a free one with plenty of tutorials.

Decided to build a website selling custom built computers, should take me a week or so to knock up, but the problem would be adding a shopping cart.

I think it would be best to finish the site first and then implement a cart after? Is that how these cart things work?

Also are these carts automatically secure or do I have to add that seperate also?

I know basic HTML but anything else is a little over the top but I can and am willing to teach myself if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Cheers.

Why not get an ecommerce package from the likes of 123-reg.co.uk e.g. http://www.123-reg.co.uk/ecommerce/ (I've no experience of 123-reg, so thats not a personal recommendation)

They'll handle the credit card payments, host the site and in some cases run interference for you (a.k.a. customer support ;))

Most will have templates or free software to help you build. Once you've got a bit of buisness think about getting a pro in.

HTML isn't too difficult to learn, but staying on top of standards complience can be. Industry mags like .net do help with keeping up on trends, but you'd be redesigning your site every month to implement every single "web 2.0" idea.

Oh, as a side note you should look at registering with the data commisioner if you intend storing customer details at your home address. Last I checked it was a one off £35 registration fee.

Will look into that mate, but PayPal payments are a no go, I don't trust them even if I do get my account setup again.

I would do bacs payments and maybe Google checkout if that is possible.

Also I like coding my own sites, when I say basic HTML, I mean half decentish, (but when it comes down to any other language I have never even looked into it). I can make a good looking site, just need to know how to implement a shopping cart in there that will let me accept payments from cards and such.

Also the cost, I can get hosting for peanuts, so would be hosting my own, if they are crap I will just move. The cheaper the better to start as I won't be getting overflown with traffic that is for sure.

To start with it would be a local run business mainly flyers and local paper advertising, shops etc. Then if things take off I would look into online advertising and such. This way any problems early on I can deal with them in person face to face.

Also do I need to apply for a business licence or something, or register with companies house?

I have not looked into it that much to be honest, I just want to turn a hobby into that little bit more by using a website so it is easier for people to see what i have to offer and would be much cheaper to advertise if I had a website to divert them to.

Its £18.99 a month for a 123-reg account that works with google checkout. But there are other hosts to look at; not sure which of these do ecommerce packages but I've heard of uk2.net, 1and1.co.uk, easily.co.uk (who my domains are registered through), fasthosts.co.uk and easyspace.com.

Not sure about a buisness licence, your council will be able to advise there, but they'll probably charge you more council tax for running a buisness from home ;). I would advise getting increased insurance though, not just for stock you might carry, but for customers' computers.

It might be worth going to see a buisness manager at your bank, they'll likely be able to help more than me. There are a few self employed members on DW, and I think Munkey works from home for part of the week at least.

Will look into that mate, but PayPal payments are a no go, I don't trust them even if I do get my account setup again.

I would do bacs payments and maybe Google checkout if that is possible.

Also I like coding my own sites, when I say basic HTML, I mean half decentish, (but when it comes down to any other language I have never even looked into it). I can make a good looking site, just need to know how to implement a shopping cart in there that will let me accept payments from cards and such.

Also the cost, I can get hosting for peanuts, so would be hosting my own, if they are crap I will just move. The cheaper the better to start as I won't be getting overflown with traffic that is for sure.

To start with it would be a local run business mainly flyers and local paper advertising, shops etc. Then if things take off I would look into online advertising and such. This way any problems early on I can deal with them in person face to face.

Also do I need to apply for a business licence or something, or register with companies house?

I have not looked into it that much to be honest, I just want to turn a hobby into that little bit more by using a website so it is easier for people to see what i have to offer and would be much cheaper to advertise if I had a website to divert them to.

You don't need to tell the council. ( for most home businesses, certainly not what you want to do)
You do need to register self employment with the Inland Revenue (I think it's within 3 months. Fine if you don't)
You only register at Company's House if you are starting a 'Limited Co.'
VAT optional if turnover less than £55000 (figure might be wrong)

Thanks guys, just what I wanted to hear.

Think I will build the website then mess and do some flyer's.

As long as the website has my contact details on (as well as the flyer's) then I can mess about adding a cart once things are up and running. After all I am only targeting my home town for the summer period so orders will be delivered personally, I may throw in free setup to get things up and running.

Back