Acer 8104WMLi Laptop - Charging Unit repair help

mobad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Recently the power adapter connection point in the laptop has become loose and and from what I understand faulty. It would charge by twisting the wires and leaveing it in a certain angle but yesterday it seems to have given up.

Any ideas how I could please repair it before I get it sold?
I am useless at soldering so if any computer shops buy or if I can sell it to a shop who purchase and repair or use the parts would be a good option?

Any ideas what would be the best thing to do pls?

Recently the power adapter connection point in the laptop has become loose and and from what I understand faulty. It would charge by twisting the wires and leaveing it in a certain angle but yesterday it seems to have given up.

Any ideas how I could please repair it before I get it sold?
I am useless at soldering so if any computer shops buy or if I can sell it to a shop who purchase and repair or use the parts would be a good option?

Any ideas what would be the best thing to do pls?

The best thing to do would be to strip it down and resolder the input jack connections, easy really.

As mentioned before I am no good with soldering and I struggled last time stripping it down.
I have a new work laptop now so I need to sell it either way, but I rather sell with it repaired.

As mentioned before I am no good with soldering and I struggled last time stripping it down.
I have a new work laptop now so I need to sell it either way, but I rather sell with it repaired.

to get this repaired by an engineer it will cost you in the region of £150 quid its not worth it you might aswell have a go at it or get someone who can solder to do it for you

ive managed to reasseble the whole of the laptop. It needs a new charge board on there. Any ideas where to purchase one pls?

Oh and is that normal to have tape and stuff going around the charge board?
It went in for repair 9months as it kept over heating?

Last edited:
Just to mention while the case was fully intact and the charging cable wasnt charging, while trying to twist the cable, some smoke was released. Dont know what may have caused that though.

I'm hopeing to get a new charge board replaced, usb ports replaced and keyboard replaced.
If any 1 please knows any sites or places where I can get a new board, do let me know?

Last edited:
Yeah mate the tapes fine ive had a few apart and theyve all had it on maybie some sort of anti static ,icolation tape just dont do what i did with one clever me decided to peel some off for no reason and some chips come off with it.Anyways the power jack you could try ebay (even keep looking for a working one with a smashed screen on ebay) or look > http://www.laptopbits.co.uk/Database_files/Acer_Laptop_Spares.htm email him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to mention while the case was fully intact and the charging cable wasnt charging, while trying to twist the cable, some smoke was released. Dont know what may have caused that though.

I'm hopeing to get a new charge board replaced, usb ports replaced and keyboard replaced.
If any 1 please knows any sites or places where I can get a new board, do let me know?

the smok is probably just a short you caused by the charging pins not touching their destination it should be fine!! your best bit is for a new part is the website mentioned above, i would avoid fleebay at all costs for this type of thing you may buy a laptop with a smashed screen or other fault but when you get it the charging board will probz be taken out or damaged aswell....

Back