Accidental Posting in Old Threads

Reaction score
Recently I accidentally posted to a thread that was a year old. I saw Sept 14 but neglected to see that the post was from 2019 (not 2020). While in the future I will be extra vigilant to not wake the sleeping beast, I feel that >> IF << this is an issue that plagues the forum then perhaps a few updates could prove useful. Examples would be:

1) Give an active prompt to the user to let them know that the thread is greater than 6 months old (or was last responded to greater than 6 months ago). They would receive this as early as possible and definitely prior to the posted response being published.
and/or
2) Color the font in the post's listing (not the actual thread but the link that gets them there) another color other than blue. This way folks know that the thread is older. Of course this would involve training and RTFM issues for new members.
and/or
3) Add a warning banner to older threads, especially just above the post reply area.

These are just suggestions and I'm not sure how difficult or even useful this might be. Feel free to consider or disregard this input as you feel fit. Thanks in advance.

Shoot my edit just timed out. Wanted to add that I wouldn't block users from responding to old threads as sometimes it adds value to revisit older posts with new info. Also for item #2, perhaps coloring the date red might be a be a better idea as it will bring folks eye to the older date stamp and be a sort of self explanatory.

Just imagine if you posted as a nipper and finished when on your pension,i dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo like drawn out threads:eek::eek::eek::eek::p:p:p:p

Recently I accidentally posted to a thread that was a year old. I saw Sept 14 but neglected to see that the post was from 2019 (not 2020). While in the future I will be extra vigilant to not wake the sleeping beast, I feel that >> IF << this is an issue that plagues the forum then perhaps a few updates could prove useful. Examples would be:

1) Give an active prompt to the user to let them know that the thread is greater than 6 months old (or was last responded to greater than 6 months ago). They would receive this as early as possible and definitely prior to the posted response being published.
and/or
2) Color the font in the post's listing (not the actual thread but the link that gets them there) another color other than blue. This way folks know that the thread is older. Of course this would involve training and RTFM issues for new members.
and/or
3) Add a warning banner to older threads, especially just above the post reply area.

These are just suggestions and I'm not sure how difficult or even useful this might be. Feel free to consider or disregard this input as you feel fit. Thanks in advance.
Or we could just put a date/time on each post. Oh wait that gets done already ๐Ÿ˜‚. Problem solved ,wheel no longer requires reinventing.

One reason why i dont use a mobile phone as cant see/read big screen rules ok.

Or we could just put a date/time on each post. Oh wait that gets done already ๐Ÿ˜‚. Problem solved ,wheel no longer requires reinventing.
Of course you are right but mistakes happen. Even the most experience and diligent folks make errors occasionally. I think that anything that might help to emphasize that a thread is older could prove useful. Something as simple as coloring the date stamp red if it is older might reduce the incidence some. Not prevent it but be helpful.

Of course you are right but mistakes happen. Even the most experience and diligent folks make errors occasionally. I think that anything that might help to emphasize that a thread is older could prove useful. Something as simple as coloring the date stamp red if it is older might reduce the incidence some. Not prevent it but be helpful.
Mate you could have it in flashing fluorescent lights and a claxon horn sounding and I bet you a pound to a bucket of shit they would still get posted on ๐Ÿ˜‚

Either way Grasshoppersocks you will get some stick/banter for awhile๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚, its natural in this forum, we are all mad as a march hair.
Just make sure you stay around and contribute "some" useful posts, ive been here since 2005 and have inexcess of 2 but no more than 3 useful posts๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚

Either way Grasshoppersocks you will get some stick/banter for awhile๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚, its natural in this forum, we are all mad as a march hair.
Just make sure you stay around and contribute "some" useful posts, ive been here since 2005 and have inexcess of 2 but no more than 3 useful posts๐Ÿ˜‰๐Ÿ˜‚
Hey Gez, I was starting to get the sense that some folks on this forum are a little humorous and don't hold back too much. This is sort of refreshing, I hate pretense and small talk. I'll be sure not have my clock wound too tightly when on the forum in the future.

You'll do fine, there will be more help offered than most other forums, we tend to defend our club because Admin, mods and members are all like minded. Its a good atmosphere most times but occasionally the popcorn is out when 2 members have a spat, nothing serious just a different opinion .๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

Wait, what? we are meant to be making usefull posts? i remember making one of those in 1999, before the forum vanished then came back. i need a beer to deal with this trauma

Back