Peripherals Access NAS from external network?

magicalbeef

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have a Zyzel 320 nas drive, set up on my home network so I can move files onto, access through my devices on the network. I want to be able to log in from my phone/ other machines not on the network, how do I go about doing this? I have plusnet fibre bb and i can set Dyndns settings via my management profile on the routers homepage

Thanks a lot

Your best bet is via a VPN tunnel into your router. If that isn't possible then use something like VNC and open a port on the router to pass the traffic.

after looking at this i dont think its what im after, i dont want to have a computer on in the home, just the nas. Would I be able to gain access via an FTP? the NAS has the option, as well as owncloud, but I havent been able to get a confirmation email from them yet

Well, it supports FTP okay. Experiment on the lan first to verify capabilities (sometimes there are limits on which folders can be shared) before opening a port on the router. It appears to support secure FTP too which would be better.

The Simple answer is yes what you want to-do can be done, BUT it will depend on some of the kit,as Him Her mentioed you cannot run a VPN connection between your device (outside) and the home router.

It does however as you say FTP sound like you can use this to move files, however your outside device would need to be able to use FTP.

you will need to make sure the FTP username and password you use are VERY secure as you will basically be opening this service up to the entire internet, the username and password are going to be the ONLY thing stopping hackers / automated scripts from getting access to your files from your NAS.

I would suggest as Him Her mentions, setup the FTP service internally (just accessible within your home) and play around with it make sure its going to-do what you want it to before wasting time with getting it working outside your home.

once your confident it works and does what you need it to make sure you set a strong username and password (google will give best advice on how to pick one). then set your router setup to port foward the Nas's FTP service to the internet (again google will have good advice on this and sometimes your provider will also help out).

then test it outside from work, or your mobile (switch wifi off of course).

for reference I've got 14 years of working in IT behind me if you need any other IT help, its a blessing and a curse lol

let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Back