Access files on second HDD

hoss6800

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Dell laptop which has some sort of a virus on it. When I try to back up the files that I need, the laptop goes to BSOD (blue screen of Death). I managed to get a cable from a friend and attach the HDD from laptop to my pc as second HDD. I can't copy files from my documents on second HDD, since I think they are protected by whindows. All is left to backup is files in this folder.

I was wondering If anyone know a way around this.

Thanks
Hoss

Do you see any files on the hard drive. What is the error you are getting when you try the copy.

Hi,

And thanks for reply, I can see the HDD and I hac copied files from other folders like shared folder and some others, but when I try "My Documents" I get Access denied.

Thanks
Hoss

thats possibly due to the fact you already have a My Documents folder on your PC that cannot be over written.

Have you attempted to copy only the contents of this directory into a different folder at all?

No mate, it won't even let me open the folder, Anyway I was trying to open and copy the content to partition "E" of my PC. It won't let me open the folder or copy it. I think this folder is considered as personal folder on that account in windows (original location on laptop), and access only given to user of that account.

Are you using XP home or pro on the machine with the drive attached.

If pro you should be able to right click the folder, select properties, security tab and from there take ownership of the files. This should then allow you to copy the required files.

hi,

Thanks for reply, no I am using home edition. The friend that I got the cable from is going to do it on his machin, he is running Pro. Thanks for your help anyway

Hoss

Back