Access database

can you save it locally and rename it to .txt or something so that we can rename it back to .mdb?

Ok, I can open it now. All your data is there, all six entries.

Now, what is the problem you are having with it at the present time? Something to do with dates?

You can set the date feild so when you input it wants date format, oh where the fook is the data, buggered if I could view it. Also maybe tweak it a bit so it looks better and have the nissan logo somewhere would be nice ;)

Cheers

I dont use Access, I am looking at this in openoffice, so I can make changes - but you would need to use openoffice to use it in future.

If you run a query in access, you will get all your data back. You can also design a form in there to with the Nissan logo in it if you want to. However, it may be a lot simpler for you to do this in excel as opposed to Access, especially if this is just going to be used on one machine by one person.

Dutcho. I've had a very quick play with this and hope this sort of points you in the right direction.

Any questions then let me know.

Steve

Thats Brilliant mate, lol, but can you alter the front end, lol.

Instead of it saying Dutcho's auto repair can it say Kaizen Repair monitor. Cheers :)

EDIT................ It's ok I altered that bit :) Thanks very much it looks cool now tell me how to do it :)

Straight forward mate. I added a form header to the breakdown form (so that it has the titles).
Have a look at the macros, I set the buttons on the main sheet to run these macros.

Was bored in work so had a wee mess around, no idea if its what you want but maybe you could tweak it to suit. I used drop down menus so you don't have to type in same sh1t everytime. You just have to add any others names in each table.

Yeah I had done macro's in excel, I'll have a peep and see if I can work things out :)

These macros are a bit more straight forward than Excel as you don't need to know VB (though it does help).
Where you've got your objects table, have a look at Macros and you should be able to see what has been created there.

And as Jaffa has shown above, drop down boxes can be quite useful.

Steve they have managed to fook the data base :( They (no one will own up) have managed to remove a macro so the view database button does not work anymore.

How can I fix this without loseing data input ?

Second question, once the data is input I can't seem to go back and edit the data input ?

Oh and there is a restriction on the amount of data you can input into field fault, could this be made bigger or at least to the max 255 characters or what ever it was ;)

Jaffa I like your drop downs but prefer the front end on Steve's, lol Plus how would I change or add or remove drop downs, would it auto add new ones ?

LOL

Cheers for any help by anyone :)

Last edited:
Steve they have managed to fook the data base :( They (no one will own up) have managed to remove a macro so the view database button does not work anymore.

How can I fix this without loseing data input ?

Second question, once the data is input I can't seem to go back and edit the data input ?

Oh and there is a restriction on the amount of data you can input into field fault, could this be made bigger or at least to the max 255 characters or what ever it was ;)

Jaffa I like your drop downs but prefer the front end on Steve's, lol Plus how would I change or add or remove drop downs, would it auto add new ones ?

LOL

Cheers for any help by anyone :)

I don't know much about macros so I am sure Steve or someone else will sort that easy.

As for the field size. Just go to the table section and highlight breakdown, then click design at top. click on the field you want to change and below it you will see the top line says 50 or whatever its set to, just click on that and it will allow you to put in 255 which is the max.

As for drop downs, they are not automatically made, you can create them with the command button but you will need to have tables with the names or shifts so it knows where to look for them.

To recreate the macro you need to go into the macros section:

New
On the top line under "Action" select "Openform"
Below you can put in some action arguments
Select "Breakdown" in the drop down menu
Under Data Mode select "Edit" (Note: I previously had this open in ReadOnly mode and that was why you couldn't edit)

Close & Save the Macro (you will need to give the macro a name, if you save it as the same name as the macro was that was deleted then that should be all that is required).

If the macro name has changed then you should Edit your main menu form, open up the properties for the command button that previously opened the form.
Goto Event Tab and select the macro you have just created in the drop down next to "Click".

To prevent people cocking your front end up I would always recommend you seperate you tables from your front end.
To do this goto Tools-Database Utilities-Database Splitter
It will ask you to name the backend database (aswell as select a location) make sure you put this somewhere safe as this will hold your tables (the all important data).
Once this is done, close down you database and make the front end portion "ReadOnly" through windows explorer.
Once this is done you will find that people will no longer be able to change the front end but will still be able to add, edit,delete data in the tables.
Please also note that your databas will effectively be in 2-files at this point. The most important thing to backup will be the backend section.

Oh and if you want to increase the field size beyond 255 characters then follow jaffa's advice but change the field type to "memo". This will allow you to put as much info as you are likely to need.

Hope this helps.

Steve

PS. Im writing this at work so cant quite remember the exact names of your dbase objects but the above should be enough to get you going.

Back