Access database

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi

Are any of you chaps good with access ?

I need a database setting up to record repairs carried out.

I have fooked on at work but cannot get the fook to work quite right.

The feilds I need are

Job No. (this was added as primary key needed a unique value)

Date

Shift

Zone

Station

Fault Type

Repair

Repaired By

I would like it to appear as a form but multiple forms to appear on screen, so you can see the past few repairs.( I may have this bit sorted though, also where does it save records coz when I re open they disappear :(

Here's one I'm messing about with. Another problem is I have office 2007 here and it is a older version on works machines so would it run ?

Access I think, lol although it may run in a web browser, which do you feel would be easier ?

I have never used access before, normally use excel so I have only been messing about trying to learn as I go along, lol.

To be honest, access would be easier but you may find it easier to download a pre-created database.

Look in google, I expect somebody out there has posted something like there, maybe search on

free ms access database track "repair jobs"

As for compatibility, Access2007 has a save as old version option that makes it compatible with Access2003.

I wouldn't say you need to download a premade database, in access just make a new table and use it design mode. Then use a form to do whatever you need. If you want any power behind the forms you can use Visual Basic macros, if you're feeling up for a challenge.

Yes, ok - doing it in Access itself is easy enough. The question on the web page was to find out if more than one person need to use it in more than one place. If this were the case, then you could plonk it on a webserver and use a few pages to view, update, edit records etc.

How far have you got along so far?

Yes, ok - doing it in Access itself is easy enough. The question on the web page was to find out if more than one person need to use it in more than one place. If this were the case, then you could plonk it on a webserver and use a few pages to view, update, edit records etc.

How far have you got along so far?

If you want more than one person to access the data at the same time then you can just save the data tables in one file and have the forms in a seperate file (forms made read only).

Hi

Are any of you chaps good with access ?

Havent used it for ages but hope I can help

I need a database setting up to record repairs carried out.

I have fooked on at work but cannot get the fook to work quite right.

The feilds I need are

Job No. (this was added as primary key needed a unique value)

Date

Shift

Zone

Station

Fault Type

Repair

Repaired By

I would like it to appear as a form but multiple forms to appear on screen, so you can see the past few repairs.( I may have this bit sorted though, also where does it save records coz when I re open they disappear :(

Go into Form properties and change the default view to "Continuous forms"
When opening a form it always defaults to entering a new record, if you set up a front (menu) form then you can add buttons to search for records or open read only etc. etc.

Here's one I'm messing about with. Another problem is I have office 2007 here and it is a older version on works machines so would it run ?

Probably not, though you will find that you might be able to save as an older Access type.

Hope this helps

Can you give a brief rundown as to what the fields mean? Things like Zone etc. I think I understand what Date stands for ;)

Date The date

Shift A B or C

Zone T1 T2 T3 C1 C2 C3 DOORSUBS

Station This would be a station number followed by a letter L or R

Fault Type This would be a type of shuttle robot or PPSS system

Repair The repair carried out to get the thing running again

Repaired By The person's name who repaired it

so you may want a few tables like this:

Table1
Job Number
Date

Table2
Job Number
Zone
Fault Type

Table3
Job Number
Repair
Repaired By
Station

How does that work for you?

doing it in a database is useful if you want to split things up etc. However, you can do the same thing in excel if you just want all of it in one table.

I thought a database would be better for viewing as well as future plans for the information, could some kind sole not tweak the one I posted so the date function pops up in the correct format and also so I can find the fooooken data I have input, lol.

Back