• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

a Noob question What is wiifree and how it works?

hi there completely noob in wii modification can someone please explain me what is wiifree is it a programable chip or what is it available to buy or what
I am tempted to install chip in my wii but not sure which one is better
wii free,wiinja or wiikey
thanks in advance

fes_786

VIP Member
VIP Member
ok wiikey and winja are manufactures of their own chips which do more or less the same thing as the wiifree but ther's are upgrade able via cd and *could* do more functions but that depends on them

wiifree is a opensource chip based on a 8 leg pic = 12f629

now all u do with that is get hex and burn to chip and install using 1 wire for vcc i for ground and 3 for the actual patching bit

look in the sticky's

plus wii free is more or less free all u need is the pic which u can get quite cheaply

50p to £1.50 each

i would strongly suggest if u get a wiifree is to make a little circuit board for it and install a 8 pin chip holder so u can take it out to programe .etc

and he wii free does everything all the other chips do at the moment with update via cd in development

i personally recommend the wiifree

because its very cheap and opensource

thanks for detailed explaination fes but where do i get the programmer regards

Last edited:

fes_786

VIP Member
VIP Member
ebay?

heres one i did using an external approach so i can upgrade teh pic code at any time :)
nice same type of board i used but i left about 5mm to fit wires and led

but ur looks very tidy and neat

but u used kynar wire for all connections??

u should of used very thin multi core wire for vcc + and ground

and yes i got mine sticking out the back but urs looks like its hot glued down well i aint got hot glue gun ....lol so i got it *hanging* out the back ...lol

as soon as i get hot glue gun gona install led's in wii remote and nunchuck

so blue light shines through Clear A button and underglow effect on the nun chuk

plus got a classic controller 2 day so mich stick a few led's in there 2...lol

fes_786

VIP Member
VIP Member
pic is fine erm i would think that programmer should do the job some might require a slight modd (1 wire)

but i use a willem pcb4.5

Conners

Inactive User
kynar is fine for this sort of job if it was multiple gnd or vcc then id go multicore or if it was over 5v

i use kynar on a daily basis for track repair on +20 year old technology when im reparing arcade games :)