Guides and Info A Guide To DVD Shrink, How to backup a DVD with all of the menus and extras intact

The Dentist

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Not my work so credit to original writer.
----------------------------------------

First of all, open DVDShrink and navigate File > Open Disc

note: If you have DVD files on your Hard-Drive, then select Open Files

2. Now select the drive which contains your DVD from the drop down.

3. This is the main screen for backing up a full disc, including all of the menus and extras.

5. You can now choose to remove various audio streams or subtitles by pressing the Compression tab and un-ticking the unwanted items.

4. Once you have removed any unwanted audio or subtitles press Backup! on the top menu.

5. You are now presented with the Burn Settings screen. There are four tabs along the top:

Target Device
* Burn directly to DVD by chosing a DVD drive from the drop-down
* Create an .iso image on your hard drive
* Create VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS folders on your hard drive which contain DVD structured files (.vob)
* If you are not burning to disc, choose the files end location by clicking [Browse]
* If you are burning to disc you have the option to use DVD Decrypter for the burn, if you have it installed

DVD Region
* You can change the DVD Region here - also allows you to choose Region Free

Backup Options
* Perform deep analysis... - this is a slower conversion, but will result in better quality
* Run backup in low priority... - this uses less system resources when converting, but again it will be slower as a result

[note: you can only select Perform deep analysis... when the backup needs to be compressed]

Burn Settings
* You can change the name of the backup here if you wish

6. Once you have selected the appropriate settings just hit [OK] to begin the backup.

just tried this and got "error copy protection error"

any ideas, on vista laptop

try running anydvd in the background

Here are some QUICK instructions on how to copy a DVD.

===Using DVDFab Decrypter or AnyDVD=============

Use this method if you get errors just using DVDShrink.

(using DVDFab)
1a. Use DVDFab to create files on your computer. Note the location of these files.
2a. Use DVDShrink, Click 'Open Files', navigate to the files created in step 1. Do Not open the AUDIO_TS or VIDEO_TS folder. Your selected folder should 'show' these two folders.

(using AnyDVD)
1b. Start up AnyDVD, then go to step 2b. (AnyDVD works in the background, so there are no inbetween steps.)
2b. Use DVDShrink, Click 'Open Disc'.

3. DVDShrink will analyze the files. When its done, goto step 4.

4. Click 'Backup' and DVDShrink will copy the files to DVD. (assuming you have Nero installed properly and you have space on your hard drive.) Make sure you do not write your temporary DVDShrink files to the same folder you wrote the DVDFab files to. You could also use ImgBurn instead. Instructions below.

===Using ImgBurn============

1. Use DVDShrink to copy the title. After analysis, click the Backup icon.

2. On the backup pop-up window, change the 'Select Target Backup' to an ISO image. Remember where you write the ISO image to.

3. When DVDShrink as created the ISO image, start up ImgBurn.

4. Click on the Source folder icon and browse to the location you saved the ISO image to. Load a blank DVD media into your burner.

5. Start the burn process and the DVD will be created.

To be honest I dont bother with all them DVD Shrink and DVD Fab and all that b0ll0x now LOL. I just use WinISO and create an ISO of the DVD. Much simpler than fraffing about with all the settings.
When I want to run it I just mount it with Daemon Tools.

There have been no updates to DVD Shrink for a while now as im sure the guy behind it went and worked for Sony. Hence newer DVDs have higher security protection that DVD Shrink cannot bypass.

I use DVD FAB Platinum.

Back