80GB PS3 To Hit "All PAL Territories" On August 27

karym6

DW Regular
Reaction score
Chatting at a secret Europeans-only gig in Santa Monica, SCEE boss David Reeves has announced that the 80GB PlayStation 3 - unveiled at Sony's E3 address yesterday - will be released simultaneously "across all PAL territories" (yes, that includes Australia) on August 27. It'll be priced at £299/€400, and as in the US, it'll be straight-up replacing the 40GB unit (which Reeves says is almost out of stock, and will not be seeing a temporary price cut).

http://kotaku.com/5026117/80gb-ps3-to-hit-all-pal-territories-on-august-27

gr8 news... may just get rid of my 60gb, considering you can get a lot for them at the moment, then get a 80gb when it comes out...

Will the new 80gb model has exactly the same features as the current 40gb model?

If it's just the drive size then I'd rather pay 60 notes and upgrade the drive to a 300+ gb :)

I agree with Karym....wouldn't trade off a 60gb for an 80gb if the 80gb isn't supporting Ps2 :)

Will the new 80gb model has exactly the same features as the current 40gb model?

If it's just the drive size then I'd rather pay 60 notes and upgrade the drive to a 300+ gb :)
I think it will, I dont think it will be PS2 compatible.

However, I read recently that Sony may start offering PS2 games through PSN? If they do that, surely they will need to update all consoles to be compatible?

I agree with Karym....wouldn't trade off a 60gb for an 80gb if the 80gb isn't supporting Ps2 :)

agreed m8, but its not an issue for me as i dont play ps2 games on the ps3. Sold all my games with the ps2..

as far as im aware. this new 80gb ps3 is just a 40gb with an upgraded drive, no backwards compatibility. just buy a 320gb drive for your 60gb if space is an issue

as far as im aware. this new 80gb ps3 is just a 40gb with an upgraded drive, no backwards compatibility. just buy a 320gb drive for your 60gb if space is an issue

you are right the only difference between the current 40gb version and the 80gb version is the hard drive size!

i hear a rumor of future firmware may contain emulators so we can play some of the old games is there any truth in this do you think?

you are right the only difference between the current 40gb version and the 80gb version is the hard drive size!

i hear a rumor of future firmware may contain emulators so we can play some of the old games is there any truth in this do you think?

I think this is what they do state side cause Sony were too scared to release the PS3 without PS2 playing capabilities and ther have been rumours around for ages that they may well release an emulator for us 40gb babies :)

not good if there is no backwards compatability, :( and other goodies the 60gb has. I cant find 60gb models worth buying anywhere :(

the 40gb version only has 2 usb ports and no card readers, right?

So to play Time Crisis 4 with a mate, I am going to need a usb hub?

the 40gb version only has 2 usb ports and no card readers, right?

So to play Time Crisis 4 with a mate, I am going to need a usb hub?

Would i recongise a usb hub though mate ? being its a games unit an not a pc, saying that...its more a media center aint it ?
I know the chip is powerful but would it know how to process diff signals for diff things though a hub ?

The manual for Time Crisis 4 mentions you can attach a hub. Basically with this game you have to plug the guns and sensors in via USB. So for two players you need 3 ports...

I am worried now as my PS3 seems to have a knackered ethernet port (thought it was a dodgy switch) and if I return it I dont want a reconned 40gb one.

The manual for Time Crisis 4 mentions you can attach a hub. Basically with this game you have to plug the guns and sensors in via USB. So for two players you need 3 ports...

I am worried now as my PS3 seems to have a knackered ethernet port (thought it was a dodgy switch) and if I return it I dont want a reconned 40gb one.

If you return it to Sony they will always send out like for like so no worries, if you take it back to the shop you got it from then they'll most likely tell you to send it to Sony or try and fob you off with a 40gb model.

I am going to sign up for the extended play thing this weekend and wait a bit. Hopefully I will get it repaired under that.

I am very worried about losing my PS2 backwards compatibility, others may not see it but its something I like.

I am going to sign up for the extended play thing this weekend and wait a bit. Hopefully I will get it repaired under that.

I am very worried about losing my PS2 backwards compatibility, others may not see it but its something I like.

karym, u have got no worries on getting a 40gb for your 60gb, im 140% positive that sony will replace your 60gb with a 60gb. sony have a huge stock of 60gbs that they use for this purpose. u phone them up, they send someone out within a few days with a refurb 60gb, they swap it at your door. then your one gets refurbed at the factory and put into sonys 60gb stock.

as for backwards compatibility on the 40 gb models, i cant see it happening. what i do think will happen, is that sony will reintroduce a model next year sometime with all the hardware features of the previous 60gb unit. but i could be wrong obviously.

Back