6900HD Combo Super loss of USB ports

xdp73

Inactive User
Reaction score
My 6900HD USB connections to my hard drive/memory stick via the front and rear ports has become more and more unreliable over the past few weeks and now I can't get a connection at all.

I have tried factory resets and reloading firmware via the serial port, which still works fine, but to no avail.

I am suspecting that the receiver's power supply is at fault here.

Has anyone else had any experience of this please?

I have read the threads about replacement power supplies from Technomate and understand that they are readily available.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks Thijss ... I had missed that earlier post.

I did manage to breathe some life back into the ports last evening by connecting a powered hub to the sockets. Of course the drives would not work because of the lack of a driver but at least it made the USB light come on on the front panel. I was then able to disconnect the hub and reconnect the HDD which then worked to allow me to restore my channel list etc. Phew!

Thanks Thijss ... I had missed that earlier post.

I did manage to breathe some life back into the ports last evening by connecting a powered hub to the sockets. Of course the drives would not work because of the lack of a driver but at least it made the USB light come on on the front panel. I was then able to disconnect the hub and reconnect the HDD which then worked to allow me to restore my channel list etc. Phew!

Might still be worth examining your caps etc inside as the sooner your change them - if necessary - the better mate, because you could well end up with more and more things going wrong as I experienced mate!:Biggrin2:

Might still be worth examining your caps etc inside as the sooner your change them - if necessary - the better mate, because you could well end up with more and more things going wrong as I experienced mate!:Biggrin2:

Absolutely correct, when capacitors start to bulge they also leak "whitish" electrolyte down on the PCB which needs to be cleaned off. Note some capacitors never bulge BUT need changing if you see the black rubber plug underneath (where the two leads come out) pushed down from the can and if any show white deposits on the leads change them as well.
Most capacitors are rated to a working temperature of 85C but you can get them rated to 105C for just a few pence more and in a power supply I would always use the 105C rated caps, the power supply is where you get the highest temperature rise in a receiver.

Thanks for the info guys. My 6900HD has done trusty service for many years and owes me nothing. I am replacing it with a 6902HD and will keep the 6900 as a spare receiver.

Could someone point out which caps need to be replaced ? On the powersuplly or on the motherboard ? A picture would be nice if possible ?

You can usually spot the 'bulging' caps for yourself mate!:Biggrin2:

Yeah, but i'm a bit lazy today ;)

I have used the 'power' solution. i have connected tha back usb directly towards a powerd usb on a pc/laptop and i used the front to put in an usb stick. Worked like a charm. only neg point is you have to restart the receivers as I got signal loss on the tuner. Prob. not a good way of solving this problem but ....

If I remember correctly the main culprits are by the heat sink. As stated above it is best to look for any bulging capacitors and replace. holmroad had great success with his Power Supply. Follow link above.

Last edited:
Back