500c And VLC Player.

Dazza

Inactive User
Reaction score
Help please.

What do I need, and what do I need to do, to get these two working together properly, like it does on the DBox...

DW2.0 Image. WinXP.

Thanks.

Try BitControl

Hi,
My (bitter and time-consuming) experience has been that sometimes I can get VLC to work (some channels, some with sound, some never work). Result: Frustration.

I have also tried DreamView, DreamStreamer and Web-TV-X and some others.

Recommendation:
Try BitControl (It's in the download area).
It has worked for me for ALL channels, ALL with sound, All the time!

Gary

Thanks Gary, will try BitControl...

Still would like to try for myself with VLC though...! (I'm a sadist, it's a fair cop!)

So any advice re setting up VLC would still be gratefully recieved.

Ta again.

Edit - Just realised, I've already tried/Am using BitControl. It's the WMP addon thingy isn't it...?

Yes BC works ok, but I can't stand WMP really. And you can't make it "Stay on top" (bit like the Missus lol) which I find really useful...

Edit - Just realised, I've already tried/Am using BitControl. It's the WMP addon thingy isn't it...?

Yes BC works ok, but I can't stand WMP really. And you can't make it "Stay on top" (bit like the Missus lol) which I find really useful...

How do u use Bitcontrol with WMP ?

BitControl

Download BitContorl eg from download area

Install BitControl

Assuming WMP is installed, create a shortcut to WMP such as
"C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmplayer.exe" bcmsdb://192.168.x.yyy/"

Or open WMP and open bcmsdb://192.168.x.yyy

Should do the trick.

Where is BitControl in the download section? Can't find it to save my life!

Cheers! Works in demo mode (I.e. no license files) but as soon as I drop the license files in it doesnt work! Just a black screen!

Where is BitControl in the download section? Can't find it to save my life!

AHHHH I posted the loc of this file today, please read other similar posts.

Sorry not trying to be rude, it just be annoying when the same question is answered multiple times aday.

AHHHH I posted the loc of this file today, please read other similar posts.

Sorry not trying to be rude, it just be annoying when the same question is answered multiple times aday.

I'd already found it mate. Cheers though.

BitControl

Not sure but suggest:

Unistall Bitcontrol (from Control panel)
Reboot PC
Install BitControl
DON'T RUN BitControl
Copy 2 license files into the correct directory
run BitControl

Hope it works (Maybe if you boot BEFORE pasting lic file, in runs in demo mode)

I find the Quality from bit control is shite, keep gettin garbled image and also the audio sync is out. I dont think its a network issue but i'm goin to replace the network cable and try a few more other things at the weekend.
When i first flashed DW1.65 and then 2.0 it all worked perfect, it was after a few re-flashes that the quality and channels stopped appearing.
Its a shame really. Must try and look into it myself. would be good to get it working.

Any VLC tips/advice, is still appreciated.... ;)

I agree with the previous poster. I LOVE VLC, but any attempt to get it to communicate consistently with DB ends in frustration. I've just decided to get over it.

I would still like to try this for myself, ok it may be unstable, and a bit on the flakey side by all accounts, but I still want to have a go....

Please, somebody who knows, tell me what I need, where to get it, and what to do once I've got it...

After that, it's my problem if it's crap...

Getting this info is is worse than getting in the Freemasons...!!! ;)

the easiest and quickest way to learn about vlc and the dreambox, i'd imagine is to find out about linux os and vlc as a program on it and how it is handled. The OS on the dreambox is linux so i'm told and i'd imagine that it handles vlc in a similar fashion to that as of a pc would.
Its a start anyway.

Possibly try an update of vlc files on your box (dont know what filesystems they are in)
Change settings etc

Erm, yes, I'm aware of that... I know my box is Linux based. I'm reasonably happy using a linux system, be it Ubuntu or FC...

But I still need the VLC Plugins I believe, and then I need to know which dir they need to go in, and I also believe there are one or two other things that need to be tweaked/done...

Thanks again.

Back