5 Posts before being able to download

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: 5 Post's before being able to download

VIP promotion and demotion are based on post count and activity,amongst other things, at the moment,so if you are inactive for a while then you will drop out of the VIP group

5 Post's before being able to download

That's all fair enough and is why I have never mentioned it before this thread . I just think for people to have their accounts deleted after 6 months inactive is a pain in the ass unless they have say a very small post count I personally can't remember a forum with community spirit I have never returned to at some point weather it be 6 months or 2 years later , ppl's interests change from time to time and the direction of their free time commitments can change but as long as the community aspect of a forum exists they will come back . Since the whole idea of this topic was hoping to bolster that community through a post count rule . I think that deletion of inactive accounts is sort of counter productive .

That's all fair enough and is why I have never mentioned it before this thread . I just think for people to have their accounts deleted after 6 months inactive is a pain in the ass unless they have say a very small post count I personally can't remember a forum with community spirit I have never returned to at some point weather it be 6 months or 2 years later , ppl's interests change from time to time and the direction of their free time commitments can change but as long as the community aspect of a forum exists they will come back . Since the whole idea of this topic was hoping to bolster that community through a post count rule . I think that deletion of inactive accounts is sort of counter productive .

Not really, every forum or site has to be maintained in some way, If someone creates an account, posts 6 times to get a download and then leaves, do they deserve to have their account active forever?

Exos said:
If I knew I had hundreds of newly registered/low post accounts sitting for three, four, five or 6 months without activity I would be deleting them

As Wiz has also said, accounts that are inactive where you have worked your way up the ladder so to speak, simply drop down the scale.

If someone creates an account, posts 6 times to get a download and then leaves, do they deserve to have their account active forever?.
if an apple tree produces 6 apples then they are picked should the apple tree cut down before if has a chance to produce more apples? even if it takes another 12 months to grow more apples

if an apple tree produces 6 apples then they are picked should the apple tree cut down before if has a chance to produce more apples? even if it takes another 12 months to grow more apples

Might need to re-think that analogy Speedy ;) On this basis the tree being the forum and the apples being the content.

So, someone makes 6 posts, downloads a load of content, doesn't login for 12 months, then decides I need to get some more content, logs in again and downloads more, whilst never actually feeding the tree....

but if the tree logs in again in 8 months and looks around and realizes that hey i can answer that question as i had the same problem and then becomes a productive tree ?
when i joined i did exactly that did not have a clue and spent most of my times reading and downloading the same file many times trying to get my head round what was being said
now look at me still aint got a clue but give loads of shite out but do help a little i think

If every member only read, there would be no forum to read as no member would be contributing.
Without contribution, any forum will die.

All we ask is that member contribute, "you" aint telling that an "inactive" member who comes reads and learns cannot help others? As essentially that is what happens with some low posting members, they ask the questions to satisfy their needs but do NOT help satisfy the questions of others.

but if the tree logs in again in 8 months and looks around and realizes that hey i can answer that question as i had the same problem and then becomes a productive tree ?
when i joined i did exactly that did not have a clue and spent most of my times reading and downloading the same file many times trying to get my head round what was being said
now look at me still aint got a clue but give loads of shite out but do help a little i think

When you joined we had a 10 post limit before downloading?????

Maybe it does work???

Mick

if we do not read we cannot learn therefore we cannot help
but if new members do not log in for 12 months then yes they should be deleted
but if they log in every day/week then you could surmise they are reading and learning with a view to helping in the long term

sorry but am away till sat so will not be able to reply till then
happy discussions back later

edit @ mick but it took me ages to start helping and even then i was still reading more than helping
think i mentioned in an earlier post my views post 13

Last edited:

If every member only read, there would be no forum to read as no member would be contributing.
Without contribution, any forum will die.

All we ask is that member contribute, "you" aint telling that an "inactive" member who comes reads and learns cannot help others? As essentially that is what happens with some low posting members, they ask the questions to satisfy their needs but do NOT help satisfy the questions of others.

Simply by asking that question they are contributing to the forum , if the next person along has the same problem and it is solved by him reading the previous persons thread .

Post count was at 10 when I joined also, and I think I dose work to an extent it's only the deletion off accounts past a certain count that I think is lame

We do not delete accounts :)

Mick

Lets hope it stays that way ;)

bn3 said:
Simply by asking that question they are contributing to the forum , if the next person along has the same problem and it is solved by him reading the previous persons thread .

Post count was at 10 when I joined also, and I think I dose work to an extent it's only the deletion off accounts past a certain count that I think is lame

Amazing how people latch onto an opinion, I think I did say this beforehand, however I think we are far too lenient in not removing muppets who have accounts with 3,4,5,6 posts from 3,4,5 and 12 months ago, or for that matter reams and reams of banned users. To me I see no reason to keep them active, they serve no other purpose than to bolster member numbers. I think you may have also misread my intention on this matter and the target audience as it's not about long term members who have actually contributed, these are managed differently as the status scales up and down.

Is it an Oak, or one of those little weeds? ;)

But and maybe your unique in this position because you have been here for quite a while so before the forum has grown to what it is today, what your essentially saying here is that people join the forum with no knowledge of ANY other area that people might be interested in, cooking, DIY, eBooks, Sat, PC, Android, IOS.....the list is endless. For all intent and purposes you (not you as in you directly) would have to be a vegetable not to be able to add something to any part of this forum, not one specific area, it's expanded in such a way over the years (even in my short time frame) that even the minority can post something as simple as recipes.

I'll refer to when I joined, I started when looking at an Openbox, I started to post questions in that area and gradually expanded also uploading what I had done myself to answering in other areas, some which I wasn't even that comfortable with, so If I can do it it's not beyond others to either. Members who join, download content, links etc are simply leeching while not giving anything back, it's as simple as that.

You at least have to have a degree of knowledge for you to come asking questions....

Last edited:

We don't, and never will delete accounts.

NOT sent from my PC/Laptop.

How about having the d/l section more like the adult section were you need a password to get in,that way admin/mod can check users posts before issuing it .

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

You actually only have 4 posts that count towards the minimum.

Hi Exos,

Thanks for clarifying. Is this something I have visibility of or is it only Mods that can see this?

The postcount shown against members names is perhaps a bit deceptive.

IB.

How about having the d/l section more like the adult section were you need a password to get in,that way admin/mod can check users posts before issuing it .

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

passwords can be leaked.. ;)

Hi Exos,

Thanks for clarifying. Is this something I have visibility of or is it only Mods that can see this?

The postcount shown against members names is perhaps a bit deceptive.

IB.

It's not a visibility thing really, its more so the fact that posts in certain sections of the forum do not count towards the initial 5, such as in the welcome area.

I know the admins are looking at it as it's only a recent implementation so it maybe that at some point it doesn't actually add to your count.

Hi all,

The only thing I can add to the discussion is... I saw the very same thing happen on the JKF InterSat Forum... this is how it all started... and it then gradually escalated... and ultimately led to the demise of the forum altogether... I wouldn't want this great forum to go down the same slippery slope...

Best Wishes,
Zorch

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back