4g tether to router via usb

IANB

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I understand you can tether your phone to a router to use it’s 4g data. What kind of router and how easy to do is it.

can you not turn on the hotspot and then wifi extend

failing that the draytek 2680 and other models will let you use a 4g sim

Draytek, be careful with them as theres a huge vulnerability been discovered in them that's being exploited in the wild. ASUS is another router you can use as well, one you can install Merlin upon.

Last edited:
I've bought a second hand asus from Ebay for £16 so hopefully get that to work with usb tether

Only need it for my caravan I have unlimited phone data and want to run my sonos ,smart TV, firestick easier from a router than hotspot , sonos is a bit of a twat to set up on hotspot and also using USB is easier on phone life or so I've read

Thinking more about the Merlin and speed the router could do with the firmware update and do your own VPN :)

Last edited:
Thinking more about the Merlin and speed the router could do with the firmware update and do your own VPN :)

Router speed is very dependant upon what it supports. If it does AC then it's up to 1Gbps, which i've just got to the house. Thanks FTTP :)

I got one of those (or one very like it) a few years ago for a very similar purpose - I think I got it off @johnny bravo on here!
Local supplier NOS was giving a free 4G wifi hotspot with a good unlimited deal but it was wifi only. The Asus got round that, simply plugged the hotspot into the USB port & off it went.
Later on I got a Huawei B493; 4G modem/router with 4 LAN ports, still using it 4 1/2 years later.
Screenshot_2020-04-03 B593s-22.png

I got one of those (or one very like it) a few years ago for a very similar purpose - I think I got it off @johnny bravo on here!
Local supplier NOS was giving a free 4G wifi hotspot with a good unlimited deal but it was wifi only. The Asus got round that, simply plugged the hotspot into the USB port & off it went.
Later on I got a Huawei B493; 4G modem/router with 4 LAN ports, still using it 4 1/2 years later.
View attachment 128192
Lol..I cant remember, honestly..memory going I think 🤪

Back