4200E Memory!

Wanyib

Inactive User
Reaction score
I think I have just found out what my problem is! I have just scrolled through the memory tab on my sb and it is completely empty, all FFFFFFFFF all the way to the bottom.

Is it supposed to be like this or have I accidentally wiped it somehow?

Has anyone got a full dump of the memory, bootloader, flash and or firmware for the sb4200?

I have the E version so please state if it is a 4200 version wether it will be fine to use it on a 4200E. I could also be a lab rat and test it as at the moment my modem is a paperweight anyways.........

Last edited:
Hi mate,
Just got the desire to open up the sb4200i i got for my bro.
I'm doing a read all of the memory as we speak.
Probably wont be untill tomorrow afternoon till i post all the files inthe downlaods as i'll be out and about in a short while.
I only didi it the other day but i'm sure for my sb5100e i just did a read all in the lfash tab and then a write all to get it all back???
I'll do all the 4 files anyhow and you can test one at a time to see what you need and if the work at all??
If i'm still here when the memory is done i'll put that up.
I used the push in ten pin header that comes with a black cat!!
It's so cool. No soldering at all. Just slide it in the holes and away you go.
Wish i could get some more for when i get all the other modems i got coming.
cheers. Hope it helps.

Thanks for that m8 :Cheers:

If anyone has a full 4200E also that would be great just in case this doesn't work...

Looking at getting a new board as losing confidence in getting this fooker back from the land of the paperweights, may go for a 5100E......

Think i've knacker my sb4200i?
Might be something to do with the blackcat not as suitable like it is for the sb4000's.
I saved all them files so it should be ok.
I tried to load up hackware in the program new firmware and data verification failed a few times.
Started again and then did a write all back to orginal,same thing at first i had 0one led on now i've got 3 constantly on.
I get a feeling it may be a fault with the modem as i dont remeber seeing the moto page before i started flashing it although i migh have??

I noticed when i plug the power lead in a resistor looking thing lights up.
It might not be actually lighting up it might be shorted out???
Thats why the guy might have sold it?? maybe he evn said it didn't work because the add was in french?? It was really cheap.
Shouldn't be a problem my bro's a electical ???what ever and understands this stuff,but it will be like getting blood out of a stone getting him to do it so i'll have to stick it under his nose and ask him what to do.

Yeah all the ff's stand for double fecked,but it's not the end of the world.
I had my sb5100e like that and got it back to life.

Think the sb5100e is easyer to use with blackcat and those files i put up in the downloads are a rescue package,but i only had it working for a while with sigma and got kicked twice and have goe back to subbed for now.
good luck

That's sound like what mine is doing only I have the orange light too......

Was in perfect working order before I messed with it, changed the firmware a few times no probs then it just died.

I have sent you a PM, can you get back to us and send us those files you dumped please?

: santahat

We will get them sorted somehow (HOPEFULLY).

dont either of you have a 233 to try? i would like to see what output you are getting.

I tried my Uncles 232 but we couldn't get anything out of it. He used the same setting that he uses for the Ambits, is this correct?

I would make a 232 and a 233 if I could find the diagrams for them?

Also what settings do I use in Hyperterminal as I don't even have the Ambit setting if they are the same and getting hold of my Uncle is a NIGHTMARE in itself.....

Last edited:
HT settings
bits = 38400
data bits = 8
parity = none
stop bits = 1
flow control = none

There is a diagram on here somewhere, i saw it about 8 months ago :), it's not hard to find using google though

I can't be bothered at the moment with using a max.
If i can't get it going with a blackcat.
wanyib yeah i got the orange light on as well and the frist three green as well?
It's got to be the blackcat or we got to have the same fault.
Verification failed on the latest flash but continuing anyways??

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic name750, and for the setings g3o.

I don't have a serial port on my laptop and I have been told in the past that a usb>serial converter will be too fast and Hyperterminal will not be able to see the modem.

However I have found this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=10947&criteria=serial convert&doy=19m12

Will that solve my problem as it does state it's for use with rs232?

If so, i will make the cable up now. I presume you are an expert on Hyperterminal g3o and can advise me?

well i dont know if it will work as i have never used one for a max lead, i have used them with 56k serial modems in the past and they worked fine so it's worth a shot.
I think i have one somewhere maybe i will dig it out later and see if it works.

@wanyib @name just been over to that shit site red this

same thing happened to me man , 3 light on solid dont even come on blinking ...just plug in the modem and 3 lights appear , I have flashed the 4100's and 4200's 10 times each and have failed , I treid to wake them up via serial cable but that failed as well ..

I see it as I have fried 2 GOOD 4200's........

DONT TRY TO FLASH THE 4100, 4010, 4200'S WITH BLACKCAT

DerEngel

Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:27 am Post subject:
The BLACKCAT was not designed for the SB4100, SB4200 modems. While it does work on some, it does not work on all. We believe this is related to the flash driver base and the fact that some modems have wierd upgrade procedures installed.

Great! It was working at first!

So does that mean the modem is dead or can it be fixed with a max cable?

EDIT: Just re-read the message, ignore my first question.

However if I take the modem to an electrical repair shop can they do anything with it or is it just dead?

Last edited:
i fooked mine up but like gto says use the max cable

i think this is write but havent seen a 4200e

The max cable is the serial cable though isn't it so won't do me any good. Or have I got it wrong and it will still be fixable with a max?

here........................................

everytime i fooked my sb4200i thats all i used

Cool : snowman

So there is still hope yet. Of to get the parts, or should I say chip as that looks like thats all I need?

Going off the diagram I have for the 233 it looks like:

Pins 1,4 & 6 are joined
Pin 2 goes to Pin 5 on the chip
Pin 3 goes to pin 4 on the chip
Pin 5 goes to pins 6 and 9 on the chip
and pins 7 & 8 are joint

Then Pin 10 on the chip is joint to pin 16. 12 to 17 and 11 to 15?

Back in 10 mins as the shop is only over the road!

They only have the 232 chips in stock, will that do?

I think it will but I need to put resistors or something on there, anyone know where the diagram is fir it?

Also are the Hyperterminal settings that I have been given the same as for the Ambits? I ask because I can test the cable on my Ambit that I know is working?

: santahat

Back