42" or 50" plasma. which to choose? where to buy from?

hardic

Inactive User
Reaction score
I am looking for a plasma 42" or 50" with pc input (so that i can use my computer with it).
warantee and accidental damage cover.
budget 1200

the size of the screen depends on the size of your living room.......ive seen so many setups where people have bought a plasma and they are too close to it......you wont benefit from the picture if its too close, especially if your not using HD......the pic is going to look blocky and in a nutshell crap.

Theres a general rule of thumb which i cant remember at the top of my head but i think the screen needs to be 3 or 4 times the distance of the height of the plasma from where you are sitting and 2 or 3 for HD stuff.

If you are going for a plasma i would spend a bit more and try and get the panasonic/Pioneer/fujitsu premium models.....they are really good.

Ttheres loads of places online where you can pick up a fairly decent bargain....to name a few try looking at:
richersounds
rgbdirect
digitaldirect

Last edited:
which is a great price for an lg has i paid 2400 for my philips

well well well.
i finally found this.

i had posted this in general chat section then vanished.
lol

logic 187 do those companies offer warantees or preferably insurance just in case it gets accidentally damaged?

Look on pixmania m8. I saw a LG plasma 42" for just under £600. It has got a connection for PC and is HD ready. I am tempted myself but not sure of the company, think it's based some where in france.
Does anybody out there have bought anything from them before and tell me what are they like ?

have a look here, they are giving a free 5 year guarantee on all spends over £200.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/

Go also to John Lewis site and have a look there, see if anything you fancy, they give a 5 year guarantee also. prices are higher @ john lewis, but they price match like for like TVs with other high street stores or showrooms.: Note they do not price match internet sites. But you can pick up some good deals by doing a price match. I saved over £400 doing a price match and got my plasma from JL with 5 yr guarantee. you house insurance should cover accidental damage. For the money your looking to spend you should be able to get a Panasonic , like this but it doesnt have a free 5 yr guarantee. notice its pick up only also. hope this helps ya.

http://www.askdirect.co.uk/uview?call=ask.productSearch&id=9616

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/

well well well.
i finally found this.

i had posted this in general chat section then vanished.
lol

logic 187 do those companies offer warantees or preferably insurance just in case it gets accidentally damaged?

Most of the waranty will come from the shops individual waranty schemes. From previous experience I have to says John lewis scheme is good, Although this may have changed and you will need to read the ins and outs of their waranty.

As standard all manufacturers only supply with 1 years manufacturers waranty, and on some very rare occassions its 2 years. The additional waranty shops offer are mostly from private schemes.

But as i said in my previous post the premium models are the way to go............. take a trip down to whsmith and read a copy of what plasma/cd or what tv video etc.

hardic

how far will you be sitting from the tv?
what resolutuon do you intend to run via the vga?
what are you going to feed into the tv?

hardic

how far will you be sitting from the tv?
what resolutuon do you intend to run via the vga?
what are you going to feed into the tv?

1.about 5-6 meters away
2.1280X640 or better.
3.connect my pc

Wow 5-6mts away!! You'll need a 50" for sure. The optimum distance for viewing HD content is around 11' so you're sitting to far to appreciate the fine detail in a HD picture. I'd still go for a plasma though. Make sure that the tv that you buy supports the screen res that you want over VGA. Also as you will be connecting it to a PC for its main use I think 1:1 pixel mapping is essential or your main picture will overscan/underscan which will mean a slightly blurry picture.

Some nice plasma's

Pioneer PDP507XD (although its around £1800 its the best I've seen) 1365 x 768
I havent seen the two below but maybe somebody else has experience with them
LG 50PC1D 1366x768 I think this is around £1100
Panasonic TH50PX60 1366x768

Wow 5-6mts away!! You'll need a 50" for sure. The optimum distance for viewing HD content is around 11' so you're sitting to far to appreciate the fine detail in a HD picture. I'd still go for a plasma though. Make sure that the tv that you buy supports the screen res that you want over VGA. Also as you will be connecting it to a PC for its main use I think 1:1 pixel mapping is essential or your main picture will overscan/underscan which will mean a slightly blurry picture.

Some nice plasma's

Pioneer PDP507XD (although its around £1800 its the best I've seen) 1365 x 768
I havent seen the two below but maybe somebody else has experience with them
LG 50PC1D 1366x768 I think this is around £1100
Panasonic TH50PX60 1366x768

yes m8 if u want plasma go for pioneer nothing else check this one out
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PIONEER-43-FR...oryZ3320QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
it comes with separate media box so no need to connecting massive lot of cabling behind the tele

Back