4010 went BANG!!

afcwomble

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a 4010 which I Jtagged-no problem so far. Went into E/M and started changing the figures then all of a sudden a Bang and the box blows:FRIGHT: Frightened the Feck out of me as it was on my lap at the time(ended up on the floor LOL)Anyway it blew fuse so stuck in another and Bang it went again-There is a flash coming from the U2500 on the power board(see pic).Is this fixable?

Thanks in advance

You can replace that particular part easily enough and that may or may not fix your problem depending on whether you have another problem which caused U2500 to blow.

I'd probably start by replacing that part and then checking out the whole power supply. I'd be inclined to replace all the capacitors out of general principle and probably most of the semiconductors as well. Replacing the whole psu may be the easiest option :(

Be very very careful of any repairs you do to the PSU - THIS COULD BE LETHAL if you get things wrong !

Underneath the board is the bridge rectifier which has probably also shorted. Check resistance between + and - and also between the two ac inputs. I normally replace these with one from a spare 4001 board.

Chookey

Last edited:
thats the chopper transistor, remove it then check resistance across the mains cap (big capacitor near it) if it reads short remove the bridge rectifier chooky has pictured above. if not short then check the diode which is adjacent the chopper (make sure it isn't s/c) abviously the fuse will have also gone so needs replacing. a poor or dry joint on the chopper could have been the cause of this, also best to change the start up cap small one near the chopper also.

wouldn't bother with smoothing caps on the secondary side of the p/s they will not cause this to have happened.

as a foot note you should not have had this device in your lap to jtag it, it should have been sitting on a firm surface (desk or bench) preferably non conductive and you should never ever use any part of the box as an arm rest when it is powered up. < this is very important safety tip!!!!

tbc

TBC; as a foot note you should not have had this device in your lap to jtag it said:
I second that, I was once jtagging a 4000 and I think I must have accidentally touched the PSU because I got the biggest belt of my life :) I nearly shat over our new carpet :)

More shock factor than pain but lets put it this way it makes your arms move quick :)

Done it twice now :) Can't understand why my hair always sticks on end when I jtag :)

P.S Has anyone else received a belt from jtagging ??? I bet most have :)

I like to call it wondering arm syndrome :)

thats the chopper transistor, remove it then check resistance across the mains cap (big capacitor near it) if it reads short remove the bridge rectifier chooky has pictured above. if not short then check the diode which is adjacent the chopper (make sure it isn't s/c) abviously the fuse will have also gone so needs replacing. a poor or dry joint on the chopper could have been the cause of this, also best to change the start up cap small one near the chopper also.

wouldn't bother with smoothing caps on the secondary side of the p/s they will not cause this to have happened.

as a foot note you should not have had this device in your lap to jtag it, it should have been sitting on a firm surface (desk or bench) preferably non conductive and you should never ever use any part of the box as an arm rest when it is powered up. < this is very important safety tip!!!!

tbc

Cheers fpr pointers guys. @TBC-Don't I know it-it's going on a desk in future!!

I have a 4010 which I Jtagged-no problem so far. Went into E/M and started changing the figures then all of a sudden a Bang and the box blows:FRIGHT: Frightened the Feck out of me as it was on my lap at the time(ended up on the floor LOL)Anyway it blew fuse so stuck in another and Bang it went again-There is a flash coming from the U2500 on the power board(see pic).Is this fixable?

Thanks in advance

it's not funny believe i've been electricuted: shocked2 by it, pay special attention to the (reserviour)capacitor. And NO discharging it, doen't discahrge as quick as it should. i'm just luck to be alive.

:FRIGHT: SERIOUSLY CAPACITORS STORE CURRENT AND CURRENT KILLS..:FRIGHT:

Back