4010 not working on an ntl analogue feed

m1ckr1ck

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

This is a repost of one I have put in the New To Cable forum but I've decided to repost here in case there are any others that can help me.

Basically, the problem is this - I'm currently on the basic ntl analogue tv package and I've been given a 4010 box. I bought a smartmouse usb programmer, paid £20 to get the rom11 B0C card unlocked, fed the card Benny's rom11 AU image with my details, cut the talkback, connected the box to my cable feed, booted it up and... I can only get the freeview channels! The rest of the channels are either black screens or sometimes a "you are not subscribed" message comes up, but not on many channels.

There is no flashing middle light on the box, but talkback has been cut correctly, according to NoviceAngel's excellent tutorial anyway.

My mate who gave me the box says he thinks it may be down to me not being subscribed to any digital package and he says he will take the box home tomorrow and try it on his feed. But the general consensus here seems to be that if you have ANY cable feed (analogue, broadband or digital), it will work.

I have checked the card status in the engineer's menu and without the feed it says "no t-stream", with the stream it says "please wait" and the network information shows "looking for updates". The IRD and BK have been entered correctly on the image and it flashed to the card and read back exactly as described in Benny's tutorial.

Is the box a brick, do I need a new card or is it something a bit easier to fix?

When you put the IRD into NagraEdit to program the card, did you reverse the number pairs? e.g. an IRD of 12 34 56 78 is entered as 78 56 34 12.

How did you get the ird and bk of the box???

You can use a Jtag to obtain it from a 4010

bammy said:
When you put the IRD into NagraEdit to program the card, did you reverse the number pairs? e.g. an IRD of 12 34 56 78 is entered as 78 56 34 12.

When the card was unlocked the details were still intact, so the BK and IRD nos were actually on the card before I reprogrammed it. When I checked last night, the IRD on the card was the reverse of the one on the sticker on the scart connector inside the box, so it is correct.

Hi :Frog:
All points 2 wrong bk. 1st b0c cards r usually locked.
How did u unlock it. Also when the CC lock their cards they can unpair the card
If the card says please wait then its still trying to lock on so wait.
Also it should say card removed with no card in.
Get an unpaired card put it in to check the reader.
Mosc cards r a lot harder to do try a fun card 1st.
Then do an auto card.
But i think u will find its either the card reader or your bk
If the ird is right the card will say OK no matter what bk u use
Hope that hekped:Biggrin2:

crackerchalk said:
Hi :Frog:
All points 2 wrong bk. 1st b0c cards r usually locked.
How did u unlock it. Also when the CC lock their cards they can unpair the card
If the card says please wait then its still trying to lock on so wait.
Also it should say card removed with no card in.
Get an unpaired card put it in to check the reader.
Mosc cards r a lot harder to do try a fun card 1st.
Then do an auto card.
But i think u will find its either the card reader or your bk
If the ird is right the card will say OK no matter what bk u use
Hope that hekped:Biggrin2:

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't unlock the card myself, I got "a bloke" to do it. He did say that the details could become corrupted in the unlocking process, in which case he would need the box to retrieve the BK. I take it he means by using a jtag.

How long should it take to lock on and how do I know if talkback has been correctly disabled. After all, I don't want one of those ntl:home vans arriving at my front door, or worse still, the boys in blue.

The middle light should turn off and on ,on the front of you display , and try to use the interactive button, you should get a error , so if you get that your talk back is cut ok

garrytate said:
The middle light should turn off and on ,on the front of you display , and try to use the interactive button, you should get a error , so if you get that your talk back is cut ok

Interactive throws an error up (m400 or something), but the middle light does not flash.

long as your Interactive throws an error up its ok!!!!!!!

Hi again:proud:
Looks like u will be taking it back to him 2 jtag.
And dont worry about the lights cos thats not how ur box works
U pressed on demand u got the error message means talkback has been cut
Another test is help button giving u an error message too
As i said though check the box with a fun card if u got 1
Its much easier and less can go wrong.:grab:

i have the same problem but with a sammy, it works in 1 house fine but put it in a friends house boots up ok but the same black screen but got all free channels and no flashing light on front of box, if anybody could help with this problem, please do

on the au card has the expiry dates been changed?

on mine it is fine, i took the box back to mine and it all works fine, it has always worked and mine but not at my mates, it is very odd

jimmyp said:
on the au card has the expiry dates been changed?
I dunno. I dl'd Benny's rom11 image, input the IRD and BK and wrote it to the card (original n*l card). I'll check the dates later.

Well I left the box overnight and this morning it still syas the same thing. Is it possible that when I cut the talkback that I accidentally damaged something else? All the light coloured track around the cut area seems fine.

m1ckr1ck said:
Well I left the box overnight and this morning it still syas the same thing.
Is it possible that when I cut the talkback that I accidentally damaged something else?
All the light coloured track around the cut area seems fine.
Hi again:BLOBBY:
Leaving it overnite or all week wont help this mate
Doubtfull that u damaged anthing else in the box
Cos it would do something strange like not work at all
Looks like ur gonna have 2 start over get a jtag
One other thing has the card registered yet
And what does a unpaired card or even a credit card say
It could be the reader
when card is removed and reinserted do u get error messages

I had a similar thing happen to me a long while ago. I was using an unsubbed analogue box with no problems. I then had broadband installed and my analogue would not go past the welcome screen. A digital box works fine.
The engineer made 2 trips up the road to do something to the roadside box, so I am assuming that something is either added or adjusted to allow either analogue or digital signals into our homes.
If your box works at your mates house then this is your answer.

Just had the same problem mate. A friend of mine live 4 streets up. Works fine at mine but not at theirs. Phoned cc to check if their street was digital and its not, it's still on analogue and yet mine is digital. Yet another friend of mine lives about half a mile away, the cc said that they were analogue and just had an old gerrard box fitted by them and yet the box works fine there. Go into the eng menu check the signal strength on both pages are all green. With regards to the talk back, I've had this problem a few times, I found by re doing it again helps and then it started flashing. It won't flash all the time, just as long as it's not a solid light.

tina said:
Go into the eng menu check the signal strength on both pages are all green.
I don't know which box you use so I can't comment, but the engineer's menu on mine is shades of grey, so there are no signal strength bars on there. I'm taking the box to my folks' house later to try it on their feed. I'll let you know how I get on.

Back