4001 stuck in tune guide help needed please

L33tpL4y4

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, I have been following this very well detailed guide trying to fix two of my dreaded 4001 boxes stuck in tune, one of them is complete fooked as I cant enter the engineers menu it just goes to 0 when forced booted so that’s that one out of the way.

This other one I think I might just get working at some stage as there are good helpful people in here, I set the freq to 755.000 saved it and rebooted still no joy, noticed in faulty log that there is an nvran error, (says its bad)??? Can this be changed, also says status UNLOCKED is this normal, as I have another one and its locked. Please any help would be great, also what is a CIM (cable interface module) as id like to change this? Thanks

CIM is the silver box that the f-connector is mounted in - to remove, undo the nut on the f-connector at the back of the box, remove the crosshead screw on the circuit board, push the CIM to the left (as viewed from the front) to release the multipin connector, then towards you to release. You may also find a screened lead attached to the CIM on 4001 boxes.

Thanks Bammy, I Though That Was The Tuner, How Would I Replace The Tuner Then???? I Have Already Replaced The Cim and it didnt sort it.

L33tpL4y4 said:
Thanks Bammy, I Though That Was The Tuner, How Would I Replace The Tuner Then???? I Have Already Replaced The Cim and it didnt sort it.

You will need to desolder and resolder in a new tuner if you have found one or two of your original ones to be faulty. It is around 11 points that need to be desoldered. You will need a good iron for this as the two end parts of the tuner need quite a bit of heat to release them. Also a good braid solder mop will help a lot. Maplins sell these cheaply.

I have attached a pic of a tuner that has been taken out of a box so you can get a better idea.

Mark them "front" and "back". Remove them both. Fit the back unit to the front position. Leave the back slot empty and try that.... Doing this will give you a supply of tuners....

ok thanks guys ill see what i can do, cheers for the great help, i also have 1 that will not powe up at all, fuses ok ect, no clicking, this happend after trying to get the bk useing an led simm, might remove the tuners outa this as i know there good. Thanks again

I had 1 with same problem, couldn't remove tunners as solder wasn't melting the tunner connection points. Do I need more powerfull soldering iron, currently its black 25W general-purpose.

Yes,more watts or use two irons. Those earth tags really soak up the heat.!!
Actually , try a bigger tip first- 3-4 mm chisel end ish...

I'll just add...... don't use a big job on the tuner pads!!!!!! They are single sided copper pads and lift off the board VERY easily if you leave the iron on too long. Repair is simple, but CARE is easier. :)

AtmelAce said:
I'll just add...... don't use a big job on the tuner pads!!!!!! They are single sided copper pads and lift off the board VERY easily if you leave the iron on too long. Repair is simple, but CARE is easier. :)

I opened the box and found a small burn mark near one of the tuners under side, looks like one or two of the small capasters have burnt and fell off, tried to jump them and it didnt work, just made the power supply tick, i knew i had nothing to lose so i played around with it, traks were also missing, awell im going to call it scrap, use it for parts and buy another. Cheers for the HELP once again guys.

L33tpL4y4 said:
I opened the box and found a small burn mark near one of the tuners under side, looks like one or two of the small capasters have burnt and fell off, tried to jump them and it didnt work, just made the power supply tick, i knew i had nothing to lose so i played around with it, traks were also missing, awell im going to call it scrap, use it for parts and buy another. Cheers for the HELP once again guys.

you cannot jump a capacitor - they do not conduct < if you jump them the power supply will trip because it is short curcuited. just remove the cap from the board.

post a picture of the affected area.

TWOBEERCANS said:
you cannot jump a capacitor - they do not conduct < if you jump them the power supply will trip because it is short curcuited. just remove the cap from the board.
post a picture of the affected area.

Ok m8 cheers i like ur guide, i think its fooked, theres a burnt hole where the 2 capacitors use to be, no tracks or nothing

Back