3rrod fixable?

fishy123

Inactive User
Reaction score
got 3rrod last night on my modded and banned console :(
as i suspected ms wouldnt take it to be fixed but had to have a go lol.
now im thinking maybe have a go at the xclamp kit fix off ebay. anybody done it and think its woth a go?
also is there anything special you have to do once the clamp fix is applied to resurect the xbox or does the 3rrod just go away itself, if you know what i mean? lol

try the towel trick: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avWs4-wD15w[/ame]

I have actually seen this work a few times now.

I did one beginning of the week i got all the equipment from b&q and cost under a few quid also got the silver heat paste from maplins

It worked a treat and the box is back up and running no probs

this is the guide i used it may help

hxxp://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/ring_of_light_x-clamp_fix.htm

the towel trick is just a temporary fix and is not recommended you could end up damaging other components with the heat given off,be warned.

the towel trick is just a temporary fix and is not recommended you could end up damaging other components with the heat given off,be warned.
the towel trick is fine, as a temporary fix it wont hurt your machine at all.

you do realise that heat will damage components and i know it`s a temp fix done it many times myself but it is not recommended,i wouldn`t want to tell anyone to do it,then he come`s back complaing he burnt something out,but if you`re happy advising him to do that fair enough.
the towel trick is fine, as a temporary fix it wont hurt your machine at all.

the three red ring already indicate there is a problem with the hardware.... I am sure he is able to make up his own mind about which method he wants to use...

no shit m8 always wondered what the 3 red lights ment FFS.He was asking about the x-clamp fix,nothing to do with the towel trick buddy.
the three red ring already indicate there is a problem with the hardware.... I am sure he is able to make up his own mind about which method he wants to use...

@karym6,just do a search for `possible damage caused by towel trick`would you really want him to damage his box further?

thanks for the advice and links guys. gonna give the towel trick a miss as ive bought an xclamp kit off ebay. hopefully my little lad will be smiling again in a few days :)

Done this to 3 consoles and they are still running ok that`s over 4 months ago,good luck m8
thanks for the advice and links guys. gonna give the towel trick a miss as ive bought an xclamp kit off ebay. hopefully my little lad will be smiling again in a few days :)

well my lad is now playing gta4 again which means i managed to get it fixed with the xclamp fix.
thanks again all for you advice.
i now have a new minor problem though.
when i eject the drive and place a game in, i then click close and it closes for a few seconds then ejects?
if i forceably close the drive quickly with my hand it remains shut and games will load. any ideas whats the problem?

not come across that one before m8.
well my lad is now playing gta4 again which means i managed to get it fixed with the xclamp fix.
thanks again all for you advice.
i now have a new minor problem though.
when i eject the drive and place a game in, i then click close and it closes for a few seconds then ejects?
if i forceably close the drive quickly with my hand it remains shut and games will load. any ideas whats the problem?

after closer inspection on the back of the dvd drive there are 2 plugs the sata connector and another with 8 wires or so.
the one with eight wires one has come out, i have re inserted it and i think its connected but not sure. it hasnt fixed the problem anyhow!!!
is this my problem? and is that lead a generic computer lead i can buy to replace it?

that`s the power lead,i wouldn`t have thought that was the problem though fishy123
after closer inspection on the back of the dvd drive there are 2 plugs the sata connector and another with 8 wires or so.
the one with eight wires one has come out, i have re inserted it and i think its connected but not sure. it hasnt fixed the problem anyhow!!!
is this my problem? and is that lead a generic computer lead i can buy to replace it?

thanks for the quick reply bud. sets my mind at ease anyhow.
will just put up with it and start saving for a new xbox incase this goes 3rrod again :)

another update for ya.
lol i noticed i had forgot to put one 2" long black screw when fixed it the first time (what a dumb ass)
so i took the oppertunity to replace that and check all the connections again.
when i was done it is now fully functional and the dvd drive is fine.
happy days :)

Back