3gb Ram not working on Windows XP 32bit

robc11

DW Regular
Reaction score
Just upgraded my Ram taking it from 2gb (1 x 1gb & 2 x 512mb) to 3 x 1gb. My BIOS will notice the 3gb Ram installed but windows wont boot to the desktop:Chainsaw:
Now i have a Radeon 9550 PCI graphics card which has its 256mb of its own memory which in my BIOS gives a total of slightly more than 3gb memory. As soon as i remove 1gb, XP will boot to the desktop fine, but it doesn't matter which one i remove, ive done it with all 3 so no faults on the ram. Now best thing is that i can hear the XP startup sounds but then it hangs on a black screen then the display goes all funny , then i get the BSOD.:comp1:
The screen going funny as it does makes me believe that the RAM is conflicting with my graphics card. Can anyone help at all. :arrrr:
Maybe Digicol as he knows everything there is to know about computers :proud: I may post some pics later once ive had some sleep as ive been on nights and only been in half hour.

What mobo you got mate?
also you tried each of the ram on its own? (just to check its not faulty?
im running 3gb of ram on windows xp (32bit) too and thats on a laptop.

I would download & run MEMTEST on each stick of memory on its own. that will make 100% each one is ok.

I have learn't that not all brands of memory are compatible with all makes motherboard.
so it could bee a brand conflict ?

You could also look for a BIOS update for your motherboard .

Is there a video RAM shadow option in your bios. You might want to toggle this setting.

Would defo help if we knew what MB you have.

On the ram front assuming you now have 3 x 1Gb modules, are they all the same, or different manufactures and Cl's?

If you can hear the PC boot (windows starting up and all that) then I don't think faulty RAM is the issue.

Rob, is there on board video or do you have a spare video card to try ?

Cheers for your help guys gonna try your suggestions now. The motherboard is quite an old one its an As Rock P4S61 the spec is here, which says that it can take 3gb, so i know this aint the problem. Ive got the latest update for my BIOS, so im gonna try my on board graphics card first and if no luck ill try running memtest on each individual RAM. Two of the sticks of RAM are the same make only the one is different., and i aint seen that option in my BIOS settings. Ill report back on and advances, Cheers

Cheers for your help guys gonna try your suggestions now. The motherboard is quite an old one its an As Rock P4S61 the spec is here, which says that it can take 3gb, so i know this aint the problem. Ive got the latest update for my BIOS, so im gonna try my on board graphics card first and if no luck ill try running memtest on each individual RAM. Two of the sticks of RAM are the same make only the one is different., and i aint seen that option in my BIOS settings. Ill report back on and advances, Cheers
put ur own memory back in
then replace it a bit at a time
windows doesnt like u to change to much hardware at a time

Try putting all 3 sticks in the board in different locations, if you can find the slowest one then put that in first.

I suspect that you have two different memory timings and although your PC should default to the lowest one I have had issues where the 'first' memory stick dictates the board speed for all memory banks so if you can put your slowest in there it will reduce the timings on the other slots.

Messa

Done the simplest thing of backing up my documents to my usb hard drive and reinstalled windows with all 3 in and its now showing ok. Only thing is i done this using my on board graphics card with my radeon not installed, so i hope when i put this in it will be okay still. But im gonna install all my update before i put any software on.Cheers for your help anyway guys.

Just a curious Sub Note. Have u got the PNP OS setting enabled in BIOS??

Also make sure if u have problems like this in future to reset ESCD in BIOS also.

ALL 3 Sticks should be the Same or ya gona have problems...You only need 2GB Ram anyway...I got 2GB ram in two PCs n I run quite a few intensive programs + Lightroom/PSCS3/Bridge n Lots more...Runs GREAT.

Yeah 2GB of ram will be fine and XP has a limit anyway along with that of how your MB allocates. I doubt if you will see a 3GB total.

But the issue as I see it is ,and is why I asked the question, I bet you have one stick of ram with a different CL and my bet is that is why you had the problem with the ram.

notmetall3's advice is also spoton.

Can't imagine you'll have a problem with your GC unless it is faulty or you have the wrong drivers.

Back