360 crash and scratch

rawsy

DW F1 Champ 2010, 14, 19, 20 and 22
VIP Member
Reaction score
hi guys my 360 started scratching discs the other day. so i opened up my drive and stuck some pads on the inner lid of the dvd drive to stop the disc leaning far enough to scratch the disc on the lense. this worked briefly the drive has started scratching disks again and now crashes every so often does any one know of a fix.

Mine used to do that, I did the same as you, stuck some padding in and I reduced the read speed of the drive because I noticed that it would make alot of noise and shake quite a bit too. The padding and the lowering of speed (12 down to 8) helped but it would still scratch discs but less frequently.

Last week I had to replace the laser as it was having problems reading, dirty disc errors, since the laser change I've noticed that it's alot quieter and doesn't shake so much and I'm hoping I don't get anymore scratched discs.

BUT

I've got my Sammy replacement drive today because the combo of laser death and a history of scratched discs kinda pissed me off so once I put that in I won't know for certain whether or not it was scratching due to a weak laser but I'd suggest a laser clean / pot adjust / change and see if that helps. My scratching drive is a hitachi 47dj.

I got my sammy today, made my usb stick with iprep, whacked in my via 6421 pci card in my desktop and I've just realised that my desktop is too old to boot from usb, I'm going to try the dreaded floppy route. As I already have my key and all I'm doing is spoofing I'm hoping my risks are minimal.

Mine used to do that, I did the same as you, stuck some padding in and I reduced the read speed of the drive because I noticed that it would make alot of noise and shake quite a bit too. The padding and the lowering of speed (12 down to 8) helped but it would still scratch discs but less frequently.

Last week I had to replace the laser as it was having problems reading, dirty disc errors, since the laser change I've noticed that it's alot quieter and doesn't shake so much and I'm hoping I don't get anymore scratched discs.

BUT

I've got my Sammy replacement drive today because the combo of laser death and a history of scratched discs kinda pissed me off so once I put that in I won't know for certain whether or not it was scratching due to a weak laser but I'd suggest a laser clean / pot adjust / change and see if that helps. My scratching drive is a hitachi 47dj.

I got my sammy today, made my usb stick with iprep, whacked in my via 6421 pci card in my desktop and I've just realised that my desktop is too old to boot from usb, I'm going to try the dreaded floppy route. As I already have my key and all I'm doing is spoofing I'm hoping my risks are minimal.

thanks for your reply. would i change the drive speed by reflashing ? and how do you change the pot? and what is pot ? please

Had a sammy that was scratching discs.

Opened it up and cleaned out the cogs, the tray wasent Dropping down far enough so when the game started to spin it would scratch of the tray.

Check the cogs and manually turn them to see if its dropping down when the tray is closed.

Had a sammy that was scratching discs.

Opened it up and cleaned out the cogs, the tray wasent Dropping down far enough so when the game started to spin it would scratch of the tray.

Check the cogs and manually turn them to see if its dropping down when the tray is closed.

will give that a go cheers mate

thanks for your reply. would i change the drive speed by reflashing ? and how do you change the pot? and what is pot ? please

Yeah you'd have to change the drive speed by reflashing. The pot is an setting which determines how much power is going into your laser. This link is from dbspider's post on another thread. It'll explain more about the pot, I've used that tutorial and it makes it so simple. Keep us informed on how you get on, what drive do you have?

hxxp://dwl.xbox-scene.com/tutorial/XBOX_360_POT_CALIBRATION_V1.0_by_Moda.pdf

Remember if you do attempt to adjust the pot take a reading before you start so you can always return back to your start point, think of it as your laser's orig.bin.

Last edited:
i think its hitachi cant remember scine i last opened it. i think im gunna just get a new drive the 360 is second hand and was bought when they first came out. which is the best moddable drive out there???

i think its hitachi cant remember scine i last opened it. i think im gunna just get a new drive the 360 is second hand and was bought when they first came out. which is the best moddable drive out there???

Hitachis pre FL 79

47 or 59s are excellent.

Easily flashed in windows.

ah well im a tit its actually a samsung drive, der. i have made the foam pads deeper now and it seems to be working but only time will tell.

I've just replaced my scratchy Hitachi for a Samsung, I thought the disc scratching was a Hitachi only problem. Oh well, I'll stick with it now, I felt a lot happier as soon as I tried the first disc, it sounds alot more smoother and responsive but the main thing is that I don't get that feeling that the drive's chewing and mauling my discs. I'd have a bad feeling every time I put a disc in, I remember burning The Darkness on a precious Verb and as soon as the start screen had loaded I got an dirty disc error, checked the disc and it got scratched. The same thing with Nascar 08 on loading the first race circuit and I burnt the second Lost Oddysey disc 4 times!!!! That was when I had enough and did the padding and reduced the read speed and it sort of worked, it didn't scratch the Lost Oddysey disc at the same point, it was during a cutscene and it wasn't as deep that time.

After that I didn't really use my 360 so much in fear of it shredding my discs and like I said in my prev post the laser conked out on me recently so I opted for a new drive, just not a Hitachi from my history with them. I've a stack of games that I've burnt but not tried and now that the new drive treats my discs like a butler wearing white gloves I'll be catching up, I've skimmed through a few, I'll be having a stint on Viking Battle For Asgard next, then Dark Sector all the way to the recent stuff, Don Kings and Civilization so I think that's around 20+ plus to catch up on, I know it's a tough job but someone gotta do it.

Dark Sector gets mediocre reviews but I loved it :)

If you have any discs that aren't playing due to scratches then thy this mate....

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PrgHKmNR-Qk[/ame]

Back