30% Off Scam @ Homebase

Spikeman

Inactive User
Reaction score
Beware anyone who is thinking of grabbing a crimbo decoration bargain at Homebase this weekend during their 30% off promotion.

My wife and I saw last week an animated Reindeer for £99.99 labelled correctly in the store - it took me ages to persuade her it would be reduced just b4 or after Christmas and that we should get it then.

So when we saw the banner outside saying they had the discount I thought £60 (ignoring the £9 as you do mentally) that's not bad - I'll get that. I went into the store to see that they have re-labelled the price to £129.99 making the saving only £9.00.

I have always secretly believed that stores do this but never have I seen it so blatant. Most stores charge higher prices generally and then discount down to a sensible price still making a profit.

Not everything had been increased but most of the trees, lights and outdoor decs had. Tinsel was a bargain!!!

If the item was priced at £129.99 in another store in the country for a period of 28 days or more in the last 12 months then unfortunatly this is a perfectly legal practice :flame:

Still, I'd get your local trading standards officer to pay them a visit....

I noticed a similair thing this week in homebase, it appears what they do is have them on promotion of ie 20% off, the change the price back to full price then change the promotion to 1/3 off. yes m8 it is a right old rip off. B&Q aren't much better either as they have a 20% off so when you look at the tree i fancied the other day £91.98 i thought 20 off that not bad only to be told that price included the 20% off. These stores just rip people off all the time.

I believe the 28 day rule doesn't apply in this case as they state off marked prices - they are allowed to charge what they like. They don't say was this now xxx that's when they have to have sold it somewhere before for that price.

B&Q do do similar things but I've found them to be better - they charge a higher pricenormally and then discount doiwn.

I purchased a sliding chop saw this year - They were all 35% off as they were end of current product lines BUT figure this B&Q Basildon was selling one with 1 185mm slide for more than B&Q Lakeside was selling the higher speed 210mm slide version for!!! As soon as I saw the one at laeside I did the maths and purchased it. I thne took teh one I got teh previuos day back to Basildon - you should have seen his face when I told him why I was returning it. Saying that though I'm still yet to use the bloody thing!

Back