3 dreamboxes connected to one router?

tmontana

Inactive User
Reaction score
hello everyone, well i was thinking of putting a dreambox in 3 rooms of my house, and connect all three to the same router, then i could put all my movie and music files into my dreambox shared folder, and stream anywhere around the house. will this be possible. i mean could i, for example, direct record on one dreambox, and stream files over the other at the same time?. i guess im trying to ask if the pc/router would be up to the job?

can i record/stream on all 3 at once?

also i read on here that a BM on here installed gemini 3.40 and his dreambox seen his media player 11 on his pc and all its music? is this something to do with the new "uPNP" feature on gemini? can someone explain how i can do this ?

thanks folks

cheers

alan

u can wire 3 dreamboxes up to the router okay,u can set them all up to record
but recording 3 at the same time ?

like you say depending on your hardware , and that might efect the quality of the recording ,s and all 3 going into the the same file at once or is it possible to set up 3 files not sure lol

if this router is used for internet traffic as well would it slow it down to much.

Can't see it being too much of a problem, Dbox has only got a 10MB ethernet port and apparently records OK, so even if you are doing everything wireless and you have 3 dreams that 10MB x3 = 30MB plus 1 PC on a 16MB (yes I know its Mb and it all ets confusing) total 46MB, your router should be rated at 54MB so no probs, if you do have some use some wired connections.

As to how the software will cope????

wirelessly was a nightmare for me, the recordings were so glitchy as the network couldnt really cope with the load. ive got 3 running dreamboxes with two nas drives, i originally tryed that trick with a hardwire network and that also caused data transmittion probs (clashes i think), the nas sounded like it would explode with the about of searching / and writing it was doing. Ive found that adding the second nas and mounting them both on all 3 dreamers has solved the problems, my recordings are now crystal and i can view them anywhere in the house lol (though my wireless network as well). Im using wiggies 0.6 and mounted them as cifs drives not smba. They all run though my wireless (and hardwired) router which is an ageing buffalo (3yrs old now), and 2 maxtor 320gb nas hdds. The best way is to try as everyones setup is different, your overheads on your network maybe 10x lower than mine, and your hard ware could be 20x better and could work for you.
Personally i think that running a ethernet cable along side the cable tv cable is no big deal, and could be even more useful in the future once its there.
P.S ive never seen an 54mb wireless connection shift data that fast, i think the fastest ive seen is about half that and that was in bursts.

also i read on here that a BM on here installed gemini 3.40 and his dreambox seen his media player 11 on his pc and all its music? is this something to do with the new "uPNP" feature on gemini? can someone explain how i can do this ?

sure did mate, u gotta switch the UPnP Client on in Gemini 3.4 then go to WMP11 on ya pc, go to the Library>Media Sharing> and click Allow for the Dreambox (might come up as Unknown Device).

go back to dreambox in file mode, and go to /var/mnt/upnp and all the media being shared from WMP is in there.

p.s. you can enable all pcs with WMP to share media, and if you run the Windows Media Player Sharing Service (its a normal Windows Service) then u dont need to have WMP11 open to browse on dreambox - you jus need the pc turned on.

Last edited:
hello everyone, well i was thinking of putting a dreambox in 3 rooms of my house, and connect all three to the same router, then i could put all my movie and music files into my dreambox shared folder, and stream anywhere around the house. will this be possible. i mean could i, for example, direct record on one dreambox, and stream files over the other at the same time?. i guess im trying to ask if the pc/router would be up to the job?

can i record/stream on all 3 at once?

It depends if you use original boxes or clones.
There are rumors all the clone boxes are using the same mac.
Three devices with the same mac in one network would be not so good.

Back