iMac 2007 iMac GPU Repair

btmail

Reaction score
I have an old white 24" intel iMac and it started getting a lot of artifacts on the screen. Last week I put new thermal paste on the GPU and CPU. While it is running significantly better, it's not completely fixed. Have any of you had success baking the GPU? Seem like mixed opinions from what I have read so far.

I had the same problem with an iMac a few years ago. New thermal paste only worked for a short time but the problem returned. The only solution that seemed to work was to download a program(I've forgotten which one) which allowed me to increase the fan speed. It ran a little noisier, but it worked.

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll need to read a bit more about that as I've never used a copper shim before.

I had the same problem with an iMac a few years ago. New thermal paste only worked for a short time but the problem returned. The only solution that seemed to work was to download a program(I've forgotten which one) which allowed me to increase the fan speed. It ran a little noisier, but it worked.

I've been using the fan program, and while it does help somewhat the issue still remains unfortunately. Thank you for the suggestion.

also replace fan as bearings will be worn and slowing the fan down

I'll give that a shot. Probably not the best idea to keep throwing money into this old iMac haha, but it has been a great workhorse for the last 10 years.

Back