20,000 mile service interval

stihl260

DW Top Poster +
Reaction score
At work we run a large fleet of vauxhall vans, most are 2.5 CDTI Monavo, Vivaro or Combo CDTI.

These were all purchased new last year and will only be kept for the usual 3 years and then changed.

Me and my Regional manager are having a diffrence of Opinion on how often they should be serviced.

most are now coming round to 20,000 miles and according to the service schedule that is the recomended service interval to keep within Warranty.

I think this is to long and should be another oil and filter change every 10,000 at least?

Any Opinions please .

Read the hand book or call a dealer. If you don't make the service intervals then you will invalidate the warranty.

At work we run a large fleet of vauxhall vans, most are 2.5 CDTI Monavo, Vivaro or Combo CDTI.

These were all purchased new last year and will only be kept for the usual 3 years and then changed.

Me and my Regional manager are having a diffrence of Opinion on how often they should be serviced.

most are now coming round to 20,000 miles and according to the service schedule that is the recomended service interval to keep within Warranty.

I think this is to long and should be another oil and filter change every 10,000 at least?

Any Opinions please .
according to autodata the service interval is every 24,000 miles

The average car should be service between 10000-12000 Or hiperformance cars should be done at a minimum of 6000 (Most specify 3000).

Vans however use diffrent oil and there deisel engines are totally diffrence, so i cant comment, but if you follow the handbook as specifed above then you'll be ok.

changing oils and filters will be a bonus as there will be more protection with new oil,dont do many vans but work on a ford galaxy 1998 and its a diesel taxi with now 510,000 miles and he changes oil at 3,000 and filter at 6,000.
i cant see any problem getting oil and filter done at half that mileage.

It wont do any harm changing the oil and filter at shorter intervals but with todays synthetic oils its possible to do well in excess of 20,000 before changing.

To maintan the manufacturers warranty the changes must be made near to the recommended intervals. Parts used must be the manufacturers recommended parts but any reputable garage can do the service in accordance with the manufacturers service guidlines.

We use VW transporters and caddy's and they are serviced every 10k.
Mine is comming up for 5 years old and is due to be replaced next month.
It has 140k on it and has had 13 services done in the last 4 and half years.
Not had any engine problems in that time.

most manufacturers are extending service intervals like this and it's perfectly ok as long as the correct spec oil is used. Trouble is most garages still use the cheapest bulk oil they can get. Should be using fully synthetic long life oils for these cars.

thebigman

one problem i see is when you pull in to get fuel and you check your oil,do you know the correct grade to buy,putting in wrong grade of oil can seize an engine.

Back